Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

CDR23 harness question

I'm still very happy with the addition of a JVC headunit to my Boxster (JVC KD-AVX44 piggyback on CDR-23). However, my only complaint is that the Boxster radio stays on for a few seconds after ignition off, but the modulator turns off as soon as the key comes out - so for a few seconds, the CDR23 plays whatever is coming in on FM.

Does anyone know if there's +12v wire in the harness for the CDR23 that's used to switch the amp in the frunk - or another +12v accessory wire coming from the CDR23? I'd like to tap that for the RF modulator so the modulator is powered whenever the CDR23 is on.

Thanks in advance!

sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
wfr

Lightbulb Question about your head unit install

Your solution is brilliant, and also makes me think - why not leave the cdr-23 in place, but hook up speaker wires only to the new head unit? I'm thinking that keeps the cdr-23 doing its various secret handshakes with the car, and it doesn't even know we have another stereo in place . . .
Any pros/ cons?
I am assuming we can find the speaker leads downstream from the amp (I have the non-Bose 6-speaker setup)
wfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #3

I did it!

I used the "sd_boxster modulator solution" a week ago and am very pleased with the results. Interestingly, I do not have the shutdown issue. I used a different modulator (although, in truth, it's probably the same but branded Alpine).

As for tapping into the speaker wires to bypass the OEM unit, if you don't have the Bose stereo it should be doable. . . but if you have Bose the existing speakers are 2 ohm and that causes problems with most aftermarket headunits.

Good luck!

TRawls

TRawls is offline   Reply With Quote