986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   engine oil over limit (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/20535-engine-oil-over-limit.html)

t2-bxtrs 05-05-2009 05:29 PM

engine oil over limit

folks,
jusrt want to get an opinion here, changed the oil on my 04 'S last weekend. thing i did was jacked up the rear of the box and put in jack stands and drained the oil for about 30 min or more..
when i was done, filter, drain plug etc.. i put in 8 1/2 liters of mobil1 0-40w.
now after a few days, the actual dip stick i can see the oil over the mark. and on the dashboard all the boxes for oil measure are full.
now i'm thinking that maybe because the car was jacked up from behind that did not drain all the old oil?
shall i just take off some by draining from the drain plug.. or is it negligible to have slightly over the oil limit?
comments appreciated.
t2

Adam 05-05-2009 05:37 PM

Sounds like you didn't get all the old oil out. The car has to be perfectly level in order to do so. I just jack up one side then slide under there, then lower it down and let it drain. Much easier than setting it up on jack stands. Maximun capacity is 9.25 quarts, but 9 is just fine. If it's well over the max mark on the dipstick, I would pull the plug and drain some out before you drive it anymore. Make sure you check the stick when the engine is stone cold to get the most accurate reading.

t2-bxtrs 05-05-2009 05:43 PM

oil over limit

thx adam,
might just do that.

chitowndad 05-05-2009 06:01 PM

I had the same issue a few months back - before you break the seal on the crush ring, try taking off the oil filter one or two times. It took me two times to get the oil within range.

Good luck

Sputter 05-05-2009 07:02 PM

Chitown is right, remove the can to draw off excess oil. Using the drain plug will make a bigger mess and likely drain out way more than you want to.

:cheers:

t2-bxtrs 05-07-2009 07:45 PM

thanks guys

i think i just might do the oil filter thing tomorrow. all i need is probably half a liter to drain..

Lil bastard 05-07-2009 07:52 PM

The car needs to be level or it won't drain properly.

I raise the car on the jack, pull the plug, and then lower the car back on the wheels for 30 min. Then raise it, swap the filter, button it up and lower it again.

I also use a polycarb buspan for my drain pan - available at any restaurant supply for about $5. It low enough to allow lowering the car. I also added 0.5 qt. index marks on the side using pre-measured amounts of water and a sharpie, so I can measure how much came out. Then I know I got it all and replacing that amount, won't overfill it.

If that's too much hassle, just refill with 8 qts. and top it off over the next few days.

:cheers:

t2-bxtrs 05-08-2009 06:31 PM

oil level

folks,
did the oil filter thing today and my oil level is now right on !
thanks for all the advice/info etc.. oh well, till next oil change i know better..
happy boxstering! :dance:
t2

Sputter 05-09-2009 05:46 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t2-bxtrs
folks,
did the oil filter thing today and my oil level is now right on !
thanks for all the advice/info etc.. oh well, till next oil change i know better..
happy boxstering! :dance:
t2