986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   New to Porsche...a few questions. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/20507-new-porsche-few-questions.html)

myfirstporsche 05-03-2009 05:55 PM

New to Porsche...a few questions.

A few questions.

I have a 1999 Boxster and I am trying to figure out a few things.

1) If the clutch is popped and the car stalls, why doesn't it restart right away. I have to turn the key all the way to "zero" and then restart. I have only done this twice....once while going in reverse and once in first gear.

2) When I start the car, the "truck open" light stays on for 60 seconds or so and then shuts off.

3) All work was done at a Porsche dealer and it shows an annual oil change. The miles were 1000 between most of the changes. Do I need to do one every year regardless of miles. I don't mind doing it, I just want to make sure.

4) The Porsche dealer put a new battery in last year...why Interstate instead of their brand....if they have one.

Thanks in advance...the car is a blast to drive!

1999 Boxster
30K miles
Guards Red / Black interior

Lil bastard 05-03-2009 06:09 PM

Congrats!

#1 - The starter circuit is such that it will turn itself off when the engine catches to prevent undue wear to the starter/pinion/ring gear. You need to turn it left then back to re-engage - it's nothing to do with the clutch/gearbox. Lots of cars use this type of circuit now.

#2 - There is no 'trunk open' light. I suspect you're confusing it with the spoiler light. The spoiler automatically deploys - UP @ approx. 75MPH and DOWN @ approx. 50MPH. In order to ensure this all happens at the right speeds, the DME (digital motor electronics) - computer, does a speed calibration upon engine start. The car must move approx. 3 MPH to complete the calibration and the spoiler light then goes off telling you that everything is set to work as it should.

#3 - Porsche says oil changes every 20k mi. That's too long! The general consensus is every 7500 - 10 k mi. or annually, whichever comes first.

#4 - The Porsche battery does not get high marks and is uber-expensive. An interstate is just fine. Some opt for lighter Optimas or cheaper Costco batteries. For the dealer, the expense of a Porsche battery is probably not recoverable for a sale car, so they probably opted for less expense.

myfirstporsche 05-03-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Congrats!

#1 - The starter circuit is such that it will turn itself off when the engine catches to prevent undue wear to the starter/pinion/ring gear. You need to turn it left then back to re-engage - it's nothing to do with the clutch/gearbox. Lots of cars use this type of circuit now.

#2 - There is no 'trunk open' light. I suspect you're confusing it with the spoiler light. The spoiler automatically deploys - UP @ approx. 75MPH and DOWN @ approx. 50MPH. In order to ensure this all happens at the right speeds, the DME (digital motor electronics) - computer, does a speed calibration upon engine start. The car must move approx. 3 MPH to complete the calibration and the spoiler light then goes off telling you that everything is set to work as it should.

#3 - Porsche says oil changes every 20k mi. That's too long! The general consensus is every 7500 - 10 k mi. or annually, whichever comes first.

#4 - The Porsche battery does not get high marks and is uber-expensive. An interstate is just fine. Some opt for lighter Optimas or cheaper Costco batteries. For the dealer, the expense of a Porsche battery is probably not recoverable for a sale car, so they probably opted for less expense.

Thanks a lot for the info!!! I have been reading some old posts and the amount of Porsche knowledge on this site is AWESOME! I look forward to my ownership experience.

tnoice 05-03-2009 07:14 PM

great response. Could not have said it better myself.

Frodo 05-04-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

"#2 - There is no 'trunk open' light. I suspect you're confusing it with the spoiler light."

Posted by lil bastard.

Not true, at least with regard to my Box (2001S). It definitely does have one. (Just now went out and checked to be absolutely sure! :D )

Gougoushu 05-04-2009 06:33 AM

"2) When I start the car, the "truck open" light stays on for 60 seconds or so and then shuts off."

That is normal. My 1998 does it also. The local Porsche shop told me that was designed that way so that the car tests the open-trunk light each time! If true, I can't think of a better example of German over-think on this car. :D

Lil bastard 05-04-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote:

"#2 - There is no 'trunk open' light. I suspect you're confusing it with the spoiler light."

Posted by lil bastard.

Not true, at least with regard to my Box (2001S). It definitely does have one. (Just now went out and checked to be absolutely sure! :D )

The 'Trunk(s) Open' (non-specific) warning lights appeared on the '01 model... NOT the '99 model which is the MY in question. The light position on the dash is a blank prior to '01.

Even for the '01 and later cars, the light does not linger at all but only lights as part of the Lamp Check on starting.

If you have a '99 with Trunk(s) Open warning light, it's a very rare bird.

:cheers: