Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #1

1998 2.5L Boxster FORCED INDUCTION?

Hey everyone, new guy here! If you couldn't tell by my user name, I don't own a Porsche. I have a beautiful 2008 Mustang GT... So what am I doing on here???

Well, my friend is looking into buying a used car, and among all of his options, he is looking for something FAST and relatively inexpensive. We looked on AutoTrader today, and we found an amazing surprise... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=260158669&dealer_id=63950157&car_year=1998&rdm=1241112439516&num_records=25&model=BOXSTE&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=POR&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=85013&advanced=y&end_year=2010&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=20&standard=false

Low miles and looks absolutely sick.

Unfortunately, and no offense to you stock guys out there, the 2.5L V6 isn't the fastest thing in the world, especially when he has my car to compare with.

So, we got to thinking, why not look into a supercharger or turbocharger?

For my Mustang, a turbo/supercharger runs anywhere from $3700 to $5800. Most superchargers bring the stock 300 HP up to 480-500 rwhp. There's a really really good twin turbo for $10000 that makes up to 1200 hp. We regularly run up to 10 psi on our stock motors.

Anyways, I've had a difficult time finding kits for the 986 2.5L Boxster. My friend would rather get a Stang and supercharge that than drive a stock 2.5L... No offense to anyone!

Whats out there? What # increases would he see? How much boost (psi) can he run? What is the best value?

Really appreciate the help!

-Preston

08MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Drive the Porsche and then decide. No such lofty HP gains on a 2.5L with FI for low $$. A better option is to slide a 3.4L in the Boxster for $10-15K. If he needs HP and has limited funds there is a Ford in his future.

Last edited by Topless; 04-30-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

From the sounds of it I think he's better off with a Blue Oval than a Gold Crest. Unless you want to find out just how quickly you can blow the stock 2.5 up, forced induction isn't such a hot idea. Now, if you want to side in a 996 motor (3.4 to 3.8), or go with a built motor based around an LN Engineering modified case set, then things start getting fun.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #4

Why is it you guys come here asking for a "friend" lol
Can't they type?

As to your question. The two cars aren't even close. Your friend needs to decide what he wants, a car that can turn at speed or go fast at a stoplight and handles like a lumber truck. No offence meant

Last edited by Sputter; 04-30-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Horsepower isn't everything. You have to consider the weight as well. A google search shows that the top speed of a stock '08 Mustang GT is 145MPH with a limiter. The 2.5L Boxster tops out at 149MPH.
It would be easier to get more speed out of the Mustang, but how often do you drive 150MPH, plus the Boxster will dominate the Mustang on any curve.

These are both very different cars, if you just want straight line speed with cheap engine modifications get a Mustang. If you want a car than take a curve at speed get the Boxster.

Last edited by rick3000; 04-30-2009 at 06:53 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Horsepower isn't everything. You have to consider the weight as well. A google search shows that the top speed of a stock '08 Mustang GT is 145MPH with a limiter. The 2.5L Boxster tops out at 149MPH.
It would be easier to get more speed out of the Mustang, but how often do you drive 150MPH, plus the Boxster will dominate the Mustang on any curve.

These are both very different cars, if you just want straight line speed with cheap engine modifications get a Mustang. If you want a car than take a curve at speed get the Boxster.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I completely agree. The 2010 Camaro and 2009 Challenger both have loads more HP than the Mustang (around 150), but are so heavy the Mustang beats the Challenger and ties with the Camaro.

Guess who will reach that top speed quicker? In a straight line of course.

I don't want to start a Mustang vs. xxx here, because everyone always rips on the Mustang. Have you actually driven one??? Lol.

Yes, the Mustang's "weakness" is curves, but suspension upgrade put the car on RAILS, and can take a Boxster any day. Keep in mind the cost here, as well. (New Porsche Boxster ~ $46,000; new Mustang GT ~ $27,000 + supercharger, full suspension, body work, new rims = 500 HP asphalt eating machine/show car, still under the price of a Boxster.)

But that's not the point of a Porsche.

Hell, Porsches are some of the nicest cars made, hands down. I love them. They are beautiful, well crafted, and show you've got money . They just aren't what I'm looking for. I'd rather run a 0-60 in under 4 seconds than take a 90 degree turn at 40 or whatever haha!

No disrespect at all. My friend will enjoy being smoked by my car at the track!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08MustangGT
Oh, don't get me wrong. I completely agree. The 2010 Camaro and 2009 Challenger both have loads more HP than the Mustang (around 150), but are so heavy the Mustang beats the Challenger and ties with the Camaro.

Guess who will reach that top speed quicker? In a straight line of course.

I don't want to start a Mustang vs. xxx here, because everyone always rips on the Mustang. Have you actually driven one??? Lol.

Yes, the Mustang's "weakness" is curves, but suspension upgrade put the car on RAILS, and can take a Boxster any day. Keep in mind the cost here, as well. (New Porsche Boxster ~ $46,000; new Mustang GT ~ $27,000 + supercharger, full suspension, body work, new rims = 500 HP asphalt eating machine/show car, still under the price of a Boxster.)

But that's not the point of a Porsche.

Hell, Porsches are some of the nicest cars made, hands down. I love them. They are beautiful, well crafted, and show you've got money . They just aren't what I'm looking for. I'd rather run a 0-60 in under 4 seconds than take a 90 degree turn at 40 or whatever haha!

No disrespect at all. My friend will enjoy being smoked by my car at the track!

I'd say you're completely missing the point as to why all of us here own German cars and not "American muscle."
Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I'd say you're completely missing the point as to why all of us here own German cars and not "American muscle."

Well, I'm gonna have to say:

Looks, performance, handling, and status. My dad drives an '08 BMW 750Li (twin turbo) and its amazing.

Why wouldn't you want some good ol' AM? Plenty of reasons, and I don't blame you. Its personal preference, and I'm cool with your opinion.

I was just curious to see if a 2.5L V6 could make some power comparable to a Mustang. Saw Imagine Auto's blower kit... Not very much HP increase??? I suppose on a light car like the Boxster that could be substantial.

Oh well. Hell, this kid would be gettin' chicks like crazy if he even said he had a Porsche!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #9

I got to jump in here since I own American, German and Japanese. When I had my 99 Boxster (pre supercharger) I ran against an LS1 Camaro (closed course) we were dead even til about 125 mph I started very very very slowly pulling away. Now we know an LSx based anything will destroy a Mustang. Tell your friend to go drive the thing and see if he likes it, He may be surprised.

This response was based on your question about 2.5 compared to Stang.

I'm very familiar with the 1/4 mile, I own an 11 second C5 Corvette.
Heres my time slip.

I'm not bashing your Mustang, just speaking from experience at the track. I love all cars by the way. The Mustang is one of the best looking American cars out there. Now the Challenger came out so my opinion has swayed. I think it is the best looking American car, period. I really want one, but again its a dog at the track.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #10

Not to sound like an @$$hole, but if I came to a mustang board and said you guys had inline-6 engines would I blown up by the members?

Well the boxster has a flat-6... boxer style... not a v-6...
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #11

Uh-oh, we gotta Chevy guy now! Just to make this conversation even more interesting!

Nice timeslip! (Whoever you were racing was slow as CRAP! ) Sounds like a nice Vette.

For the record, all it takes for a GT to get in the 11's is a supercharger/turbo, some high gear ratios, a few suspension mods, and drag radials. Hands down. I really appreciate a good Vette! Just expensive and only a 2 seater.

Well, opinions are opinions. People have a bad habit of comparing $50-80,000 cars (Boxsters, Corvettes, 911s, etc) to $30,000 cars (Mustangs, 350Zs, etc). They're totally different ends of the spectrum.

Now, take a good look at the GT500 and tell me you don't want that! That's more Vette/911 price range.

I agree, I love the look of the Challenger. More "cruiser" than racer.

--------------------------------

So no advice on the 1998 Boxtser? Just test drive & go from there?

I think it all comes down to my friend's preference--> 2 seater sports car vert vs 4 seater coupe/vert muscle car.

11 sec. Mustangs!
05 Whipple, stock gears, suspension work, street tires.
07, stock besides some bmr suspension and saleen supercharger
05 kenne bell, drag radials, stock suspension & gears!

Last edited by 08MustangGT; 04-30-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyc
Not to sound like an @$$hole, but if I came to a mustang board and said you guys had inline-6 engines would I blown up by the members?

Well the boxster has a flat-6... boxer style... not a v-6...
HAHA my bad dude! See, I'm not a Porsche guy at all. Doh! :ah:

Uh... And yeah, those V6 Mustangers are just MEAN!!!! They'll eat you alive if you insult them in any possible way...

(We GT ~ V8 ~ guys are a little more understanding!)
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #13

Well, I mean he needs to drive it to see if he even likes it. You got me, I'm a GM guy. I love my Targa though...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #14

What does your friend want to do with it? If he wants to go hit the local 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile track a lot then the mustang gt is a no brainer over the 2.5L boxster. If he's going to the local autocross or any track that requires him to turn then the boxster is the better choice. If he just wants a cruiser then it could go either way, however he could haul 3 of his friends with him in the mustang. Then again, if he wants to be noticed when he is cruising down the main strip in town he might be better off with the boxster since mustangs are as common as a taurus.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
What does your friend want to do with it? If he wants to go hit the local 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile track a lot then the mustang gt is a no brainer over the 2.5L boxster. If he's going to the local autocross or any track that requires him to turn then the boxster is the better choice. If he just wants a cruiser then it could go either way, however he could haul 3 of his friends with him in the mustang. Then again, if he wants to be noticed when he is cruising down the main strip in town he might be better off with the boxster since mustangs are as common as a taurus.
Yes, great point.

And yeah, Mustangs come a dime a dozen.

That's why we "customize" them! We have the largest selection of aftermarket parts than any other model of car. Its hilarious.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #16

Having been a" hybrid" since I was a little kid, I liked sports cars and muscle cars, I have a little experience in both and the only way a Mustang could smoke a 2.5 in a road course would be tied to the top of a worked over higher HP Boxster. Please appreciate the car you have and don't feel that it has to be something else. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #17

These cars could not be more different. I like them both but it is really easy to figure out one to buy if you only can buy one.

Goosing a 2.5 engine with mods is one of the dumber things one might do with one's money, but hey, that's only my opinion.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #18

Why does that car have the S front bumper and rear bumpers are missing the bumperettes? Something smells fishy.

Wouldn't touch that car even if it's free.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Why does that car have the S front bumper and rear bumpers are missing the bumperettes? Something smells fishy.

Wouldn't touch that car even if it's free.
Yeah, you're right. I just took a second to scope out the sellers ad. I guarantee that thing has been wrecked. The seller types like I text and the black/red scheme looks tacky.

Last edited by Adam; 05-01-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08MustangGT
So, we got to thinking, why not look into a supercharger or turbocharger?
Anyways, I've had a difficult time finding kits for the 986 2.5L Boxster. No offense to anyone!

Whats out there? What # increases would he see? How much boost (psi) can he run? What is the best value?

Really appreciate the help!

-Preston
You know, there's a sticky in the General Discussion section for a Supercharger thread.
Why don't you read that thread, and do a search for any additional supercharger threads, and have your friend make up his mind.

A Mustang is a Mustang, and a Boxster is a Boxster.
The only thing these two cars have in common is that they have 4 wheels and tires.

If you haven't noticed as of yet, this is a Porsche Boxster forum, and no one here really cares how much horsepower you can get out of a Mustang when you throw oodles of money at it. Bragging about that fact isn't helping anyone care much about you, your Mustang, or your friend.

Here's what I recommend that you do after you are done searching the forum:

Go find a Porsche dealer, and dress up fairly nice (business casual, preferred).
Ask to sit in one of their Boxsters, and have your friend get a feel for the car.
He might not like the interior or the seating position in comparison to your Mustang.
If the dealer asks if your friend wants to take it for a spin, be polite, and accept. Screaming "Hell Yeah, fire this bad boy up!" isn't going to help much. When he goes for a test drive with the salesguy, have him drive easy, and be reasonable with the car. That's the best way to get another test drive with just him and you behind the wheel.

Once you guys have actually DRIVEN a Boxster, then you might be able to get past the paper spec wars that you are currently engaged in.

And I'm sorry, but there isn't ANYTHING that you can do to make a Mustang with a live rear axle handle like a Boxster. Its taller, heavier, longer, crappier suspension design, crappier brake design, low revving engines, and just will never, ever feel the same as a Boxster.

Hell, if you guys lived near Colorado, I would take your friend for a spin in my '98 to show him what its all about. We have some fantastic roads that when experienced in a great car, will melt your brain, plain and simple. I'll even let you and your Mustang tag along, to see how it compares on a great road.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote