Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Moostang
Having owned both cars.... I can honestly say, just like everyone else... that these two cars are completely different. I had a Procharged 97 GT , 4.10, full exhaust ( long tubes, pro-chamber, dumps ) and i could barely make a turn or keep my nitto drags from spinning. It was fun as hell as scary too, thinking back.

The Boxster isn't going to snap your head back with acceleration, but a high speed turn is just as exhilarating , so here is where they differ. Plus, matinence and parts come much cheaper in the AM world.

Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #22

Super Nova or Boxster

I was in the same position before. Had a 73Nova and was thinking of dropping $30K in mods and turn it into a Street killing Machine with an art work that reads SuperNova. But after a test drive at insane speed while taking a curve in a Boxster I decided to sell the Nova.

Last edited by speedyellow; 05-01-2009 at 10:55 AM.
speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #23

You know, there's a sticky in the General Discussion section for a Supercharger thread.
Yes, I know that. I checked it out, but was looking for more info on turbochargers + if a Stang would be a better choice for power.
Why don't you read that thread, and do a search for any additional supercharger threads, and have your friend make up his mind.

A Mustang is a Mustang, and a Boxster is a Boxster.
The only thing these two cars have in common is that they have 4 wheels and tires.
Not true. They have bumpers, radiators, gears, headlights, tail lights, doors, windows, "hoods", brakes, rotors... Etc.

If you haven't noticed as of yet, this is a Porsche Boxster forum, and no one here really cares how much horsepower you can get out of a Mustang when you throw oodles of money at it. Bragging about that fact isn't helping anyone care much about you, your Mustang, or your friend.
Wow dude, get that stick out of your butt. Whats the matter with you? Did I manage to insult you? Yeah, Mustangs make a lot more HP and TQ than Boxsters, but the Boxster make up for it in curb weight, "balanced weight" (50-50 weight distribution???), and most importantly handling. If you need to insult me to get your point across, I definitely need to rethink my definition of a Porsche driver.

Here's what I recommend that you do after you are done searching the forum:

Go find a Porsche dealer, and dress up fairly nice (business casual, preferred).
Ask to sit in one of their Boxsters, and have your friend get a feel for the car.
He might not like the interior or the seating position in comparison to your Mustang.
If the dealer asks if your friend wants to take it for a spin, be polite, and accept. Screaming "Hell Yeah, fire this bad boy up!" isn't going to help much. When he goes for a test drive with the salesguy, have him drive easy, and be reasonable with the car. That's the best way to get another test drive with just him and you behind the wheel.
Yeah, except he's not looking for a NEW Porsche. Something 15K or less.

Once you guys have actually DRIVEN a Boxster, then you might be able to get past the paper spec wars that you are currently engaged in.
Paper spec war??? Hmm... I.e. time slips? What do you mean? 0-60 numbers are tests... One test is better than 1000 opinions. Not that acceleration is the only thing. Your handling is much better than ours, & you can take us in the turns (stock ).

And I'm sorry, but there isn't ANYTHING that you can do to make a Mustang with a live rear axle handle like a Boxster. Its taller, heavier, longer, crappier suspension design, crappier brake design, low revving engines, and just will never, ever feel the same as a Boxster.
REALLY!? Are you some sort of car expert here??? I guarantee with an UNLIMITED budget you can make a Mustang handle better than a Porsche. The cost would be huge, but nothings impossible.

Hell, if you guys lived near Colorado, I would take your friend for a spin in my '98 to show him what its all about. We have some fantastic roads that when experienced in a great car, will melt your brain, plain and simple. I'll even let you and your Mustang tag along, to see how it compares on a great road.
Porsche --> Luxury sport ~ Mustang --> Muscle sport. Your car better damn well outperform a Mustang.

BC.

Last edited by Brucelee; 05-02-2009 at 07:24 AM.
08MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #24

Garage
Mustangs can be made to handle...but...

Be prepared to shell out some bucks. I have two friends that are Mustang heads... Both have pure race cars (I know...I know different subject), but they can be made to handle well. One car is set up for NASA American Iron series and is seriously fast. He does some DE's we me and I watch him toast some 996 / 997 TT's and the occassional GT3 (but then again he is a very good driver). But now (finally!!) on to my point. He built up a 03 Cobra with 600 HP at the crank and every brake and suspension mod he could throw at it (he also has an arrangement with a distributor where he does the install labor and the partner buys the performance parts at wholesale). This car is just wicked!! I have seen him go toe-to-toe with Vipers, Gallardo's, GT3, ETC and he usually passes them all. But like I said...you gotta spend the $$$.

They tried to convince me to buy a Mustang GT that would become track modified and I though about it....for about 5 minutes. I just love the feel of the Box-S and at the track it really is a true track weapon.
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob76turbo
Be prepared to shell out some bucks. I have two friends that are Mustang heads... Both have pure race cars (I know...I know different subject), but they can be made to handle well. One car is set up for NASA American Iron series and is seriously fast. He does some DE's we me and I watch him toast some 996 / 997 TT's and the occassional GT3 (but then again he is a very good driver). But now (finally!!) on to my point. He built up a 03 Cobra with 600 HP at the crank and every brake and suspension mod he could throw at it (he also has an arrangement with a distributor where he does the install labor and the partner buys the performance parts at wholesale). This car is just wicked!! I have seen him go toe-to-toe with Vipers, Gallardo's, GT3, ETC and he usually passes them all. But like I said...you gotta spend the $$$.

They tried to convince me to buy a Mustang GT that would become track modified and I though about it....for about 5 minutes. I just love the feel of the Box-S and at the track it really is a true track weapon.
Thanks man, I really appreciate another opinion in this. Especially someone that knows what they're talking about!

To tell everyone the truth I've never driven a Boxster before. Once I do, I'll let you guys know what I think!

Actually, I think you meant $$$$$
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #26

Mustang doesn't have a ring time... oh nevermind.

ZR1 & Viper ACR on the other hand....
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #27

Bladecutter, don't sugar coat it. What do you really think?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Mustang doesn't have a ring time... oh nevermind.

ZR1 & Viper ACR on the other hand....
??? Ring time???

Read this on one of my Stang forums...

"It also depends a lot on the course... I had a plain ol' 1999 Boxster. Wasn't quick off the line... The motor didn't really start to pulling until you got around 4,000! So off the line, in a straight line race it was a bit of a dog... but get that car in the twistys!!! LOOK OUT! That car was absolutely glued to the pavement! That car was so sure footed in the corners it was un-frigging-believeable!!! But one look at the 05 Mustang and the Porsche had to go!!! LOL!"
Old 05-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08MustangGT
Yes, I know that. I checked it out, but was looking for more info on turbochargers + if a Stang would be a better choice for power.
A Mustang will always be a better choice for building power, period.
No contest or argument there, ever.

Quote:
A Mustang is a Mustang, and a Boxster is a Boxster.
The only thing these two cars have in common is that they have 4 wheels and tires.
Not true. They have bumpers, radiators, gears, headlights, tail lights, doors, windows, "hoods", brakes, rotors... Etc.
That was a cool comeback, but the Boxster has more radiators than the Mustang.
It also has two trunks, and comes in any body style you want, as long as its convertible. You get more choice with the Mustang in that regard.

Quote:
If you haven't noticed as of yet, this is a Porsche Boxster forum, and no one here really cares how much horsepower you can get out of a Mustang when you throw oodles of money at it. Bragging about that fact isn't helping anyone care much about you, your Mustang, or your friend.
Wow dude, get that stick out of your ass. Whats the matter with you? Did I manage to insult you? Yeah, Mustangs make a lot more HP and TQ than Boxsters, but the Boxster make up for it in curb weight, "balanced weight" (50-50 weight distribution???), and most importantly handling. If you need to insult me to get your point across, I definitely need to rethink my definition of a Porsche driver.
I'm sorry, what was insulting about my section above?
I didn't say anything that was insulting, or not true.
I'm shocked that you took offense to it.

Quote:
Go find a Porsche dealer, and dress up fairly nice (business casual, preferred).
Ask to sit in one of their Boxsters, and have your friend get a feel for the car.
He might not like the interior or the seating position in comparison to your Mustang.
If the dealer asks if your friend wants to take it for a spin, be polite, and accept. Screaming "Hell Yeah, fire this bad boy up!" isn't going to help much. When he goes for a test drive with the salesguy, have him drive easy, and be reasonable with the car. That's the best way to get another test drive with just him and you behind the wheel.
Yeah, except he's not looking for a NEW Porsche. Something 15K or less.
I suggest this as a Brand New Boxster will handle and feel pretty close to identical as a late 90's Boxster. The only real difference is that the new ones will have a slightly larger motor, with a bit more power. But handling and overall feel will be pretty close.

Quote:
Once you guys have actually DRIVEN a Boxster, then you might be able to get past the paper spec wars that you are currently engaged in.
Paper spec war??? Hmm... I.e. time slips? What do you mean? 0-60 numbers are tests... One test is better than 1000 opinions. Not that acceleration is the only thing. Your handling is much better than ours, & you can take us in the turns (stock ).
I mean just that.
HP numbers. Torque numbers. 0-60 times. 1/4 mile times. Trap times.

What I learned a while ago is that nothing beats the overall feeling that I get when driving a great vehicle. Its not all about raw untamed hp, and blasting down the highway or 1/4 mile track as quickly as I can.

I'd rather have a vehicle that communicates with me exactly what is going on at all 4 tires as I slice my way through a perfect set of curves, while feathering the throttle to maintain that fine line between oversteer and understeer. Life is a wonderful thing at the edge of tire adhesion.

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but there isn't ANYTHING that you can do to make a Mustang with a live rear axle handle like a Boxster. Its taller, heavier, longer, crappier suspension design, crappier brake design, low revving engines, and just will never, ever feel the same as a Boxster.
REALLY!? Are you some sort of car expert here??? I guarantee with an UNLIMITED budget you can make a Mustang handle better than a Porsche. The cost would be huge, but nothings impossible.
With an unlimited budget, you can shovel more hp into a Boxster, and then take a car that already handles stunningly, and get close to being able to alter physics. I'm sure if you took a $10k Boxster, and threw $25k to $35k at it, engine, suspension, brakes, and exhaust, you could have something truly remarkable.

If you take a $25k Mustang, and add $10k to $20k in add ons to it, I'm sure you would have a monster of a car. Massive hp. Slide the rear end of the car around the corners, smoke pouring out of the rear wheel wells whenever you want. Is it fun? Yes, just not my cup of tea.

Quote:
Hell, if you guys lived near Colorado, I would take your friend for a spin in my '98 to show him what its all about. We have some fantastic roads that when experienced in a great car, will melt your brain, plain and simple. I'll even let you and your Mustang tag along, to see how it compares on a great road.
Porsche --> Luxury sport ~ Mustang --> Muscle sport. Your car better damn well outperform a Mustang.
Offer stands.
Fully stock '98 Boxster in its intended environment vs a modded musclecar out of its environment.

It all come down to how your friend plans on driving his car.
If he's all about HP and 1/4 mile times, the Mustang is the better way to go.

If he's got great roads with lots of curves to slice through, then the Boxster is the winner.

We don't know what your friend is looking for in a car.
We do know that you can't build a high hp Boxster without spending ALOT of money to get it there, and then you're still looking at 300 to 400 hp max for about 15 to 25k dollars.

So the main thing is that your friend needs to look at his budget, decide what he wants to do with the vehicle, and then go from there.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #30

Bladecutter, I could not have put it any better myself. I guess I mistook what you meant, and I totally understand where you're coming from.

Like everyone has said, it all comes down to what this guy wants. Potential for huge hp and fast straightaways in a Mustang, or taking curves and corners at higher speeds in a lightweight quick PORSCHE!

Both very different cars, and I can't voice my opinion for him. I'll let everyone know what he ends up going with... Thanks for the info on the Boxster! It'll be nice for him to realize he isn't getting much more power cheaply and won't end up disappointed if he's looking for big power.

Thanks a lot everyone.

-Preston