986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Thought on An Audi S4 Engine Transplant. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/20403-thought-audi-s4-engine-transplant.html)

PlayersExpress 04-25-2009 06:20 PM

Thought on An Audi S4 Engine Transplant.

My curiosity was irked from another thread. Its possible for an Audi S4 (1997-2002) 2.7L 30V V6 Biturbo engine rated at 261bph to bolt right up to my 97 Tiptronic tranny. Its also possible for the engine to be remapped and have upgraded turbos/increase boost from the low stock level to easily attain 350hp.

I was just curious on everyones thoughts to this.

+Its turbo'd.
+Its relatively inexpensive.
- Its not Porsche.

Darkhamr 04-26-2009 04:43 AM

I know nothing about this swap, but more power is always a good thing so I say go for it.

JAAY 04-26-2009 07:32 AM

I know nothing of this swap... BUT from just doing my 3.4 swap and haveing the supercharger prior to that, there is no room in the engine bay except for what is supposed to be there. audi manifolds and all that are definatley not going to work.
just my thoughts

TMM986 04-26-2009 07:53 AM

Agree with JAAY about space in the Boxster engine bay.

I have a B5 Audi S4 with the 2.7T engine and it's a very snug fit in *that* car with the twin intercoolers and intake plumbing for the turbos etc. and it has a much larger engine bay up front.

Also, given that engine is a "V" block and not horizontally opposed I think the vertical dimensions alone would make it impossible or a very poor hacked fit in the Boxster.

The turbowerx kit or a supercharger would be better options for forced induction and more HP with a 2.5 engine.

Cloudsurfer 04-26-2009 08:39 AM

I think no way could you fit a V6 where the flat 6 was. Not to mention all the added plumbing for turbos and intercoolers.

PlayersExpress 04-26-2009 09:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. It was what I expected (the engine not being able to fit) but from my knowledge, the Audi S4 Tiptronic and the Boxster Tip are one and the same. Porsche licensed its technology out to other companied that it owns.

Im looking at doing a transplant, but... I would love to rebuild a 3.4 with Nickies, Forged JE pistons, R&R Pro Billet Chromoly Steel Connecting Rods, an Updated IMS, and a Cross Drilled Crankshaft. That is built specifically for forced induction.

If TPC can get 550 hp out of a 3.4 with under 6psi on a stock engine.. Imagine what one built like this would be.

Im trying to find a blown or rebuildable 3.4 for a decent price.. like a buck or two. Not 4,5,6k which I could buy a complete, working engine for.

Who wouldnt like to own a 500-700hp Boxster? Talk about fun on a track. AX, and open classes.

Lil bastard 04-26-2009 09:15 AM

What are the dimensions of the motor? ... w/ ancillaries?

What is the weight of the motor?

What are the motor mount requirements for the audi, and can they be met?

What is the radiator capacity/requirement ? (will need to be increased due to mid-engine arrangement).

Can the audi use the non-return fuel system of the Boxster?

Also, can the audi ecu interpret signals from the Porsche egas, speed sensors, fuel gauge, temp gauge?

What kind of exhaust arrangement will be needed?

How much change will there be to the center of gravity and to the weight distribution - Audister vs Boxster?

Is there adequate air intake to supply the turbos?

These are just a few of the questions you need answers to.

But, if these can be acceptably modified, the S4s motor is a pretty sweet powerplant.

:cheers:

easyc 04-28-2009 03:51 PM

Im 99.99% sure the Boxster TIP will not bolt up to the 2.7T... the casing is different... I've never tried to match them, but from my experience with these trannies, ZF made the made the tranny for a host of cars, but the difference between then was power tolerance and casings. Yes they are nearly identical ZF trannys (same model number different sub number), but they are different. But it doesn't matter as its nearly identical to put a GT3 based engine in a boxster, let alone something like a audi engine...

And honestly, NO a 550-700hp Boxster would not be fun... except for in a straight line after you got moving (50+mph)... on a AX track, you better be on some warmed up slicks if you want to hook up at all... on a track it would better, but you better be ready to spend $$$$ to swap trannies to a manual (so you can use a true LSD) because lord knows you will need it with that power and the do all the time it will take to get the car setup because with 300+ and all suspension goodies you can buy its still hard...