986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Replacing Stock Brakes, Ball Park? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/20360-replacing-stock-brakes-ball-park.html)

Immortal1520 04-21-2009 06:50 PM

Replacing Stock Brakes, Ball Park?

Thinking about replacing my brakes, they're a little too loose to consider safe. Around how much am I looking at, price-wise?

jjanari 04-21-2009 07:41 PM

not sure what you mean about your brakes feeling too loose. is your brake pad wear sensor light on?

I just spent around $200 for pads and new rotors for the fronts only, but replaced them myself.

It's a really easy DIY if you have the right tools.

Lil bastard 04-21-2009 07:56 PM

When was the last time you flushed/changed the brake fluid?

If it's been more than 2-3 yrs., the fluid could be so saturated with water that it's boiling and not fully transmitting your pedal action to the caliper pistons.

Also, can't rule out the Master Cylinder either.

Minimum pad wear s/b 2mm (0.08"). You get two sets of brake pads before requiring a rotor change. OEM pads cost me $120 for both axles + $22 for new brake fluid.

:cheers:

j.fro 04-22-2009 01:45 AM

If you're doing pads,rotors, and fluid, but also want a more solid pedal feel, try replacing the lines with braided stainless steel lines. That made my brake pedal feel substantially firmer. All in (pads, rotors, lines, fluid, Motive brake bleeder), you should be under $800 (waaay under if you shop around).

vath2001 04-22-2009 02:41 AM

The lowest price I have found it here:
http://www.********************************************************************.com/product_p/986bk.htm

Probably all China made, but I don't run on the track, so this is the route I will be going.

ChefCarnivore 04-22-2009 04:14 AM

How do u know rotors need replacing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
When was the last time you flushed/changed the brake fluid?

If it's been more than 2-3 yrs., the fluid could be so saturated with water that it's boiling and not fully transmitting your pedal action to the caliper pistons.

Also, can't rule out the Master Cylinder either.

Minimum pad wear s/b 2mm (0.08"). You get two sets of brake pads before requiring a rotor change. OEM pads cost me $120 for both axles + $22 for new brake fluid.

How do you know that the rotors need replacing. Do you measure runout and/or is there a minimum thickness to the rotor?

ekam 04-22-2009 04:36 AM

Brakes are the last thing I want to save money on...

$300 for set of rotors AND pads? You'll get every cent out of it once you ram into someone.

Lil bastard 04-22-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
How do you know that the rotors need replacing. Do you measure runout and/or is there a minimum thickness to the rotor?

You get two sets of pads use out of the rotors.

You should measure minimums.

Using a mic, measure thickness.

Front: 22.6mm (0.89")

Rear: 18.6mm (0.73")

Disc machining limit:

Front: 22.0mm (0.87")

Rear: 18.0mm (0.71")

kabel 04-22-2009 08:42 AM

I purchased that set from Paragon, and they are just right for the driving I do (street + occasional autocross).

Immortal1520 04-22-2009 09:17 AM

I actually don't know whats up with the brakes. I haven't got a notification from the dash yet, the brakes just seem a little numb and don't seem to stop as well as I would have thought. I'm not sure if thats normal(still new to sports cars), but yeah, I'm a smidge worried.

jjanari 04-22-2009 10:56 AM

How many miles on the car?
do you know its service history, i.e. last time the brake fluid was flushed, pads changed, etc?

these cars are too expensive to just start changing parts w/o knowing what's actually wrong, so I second the folks who recommended doing the cheap stuff first, i.e. brake fluid flush, checking rotor thickness, etc.

btw, you wouldn't get a brake sensor warning light if the PO disabled the sensor following the last pad change, so I wouldn't rely on just that. also, depending upon the service history, the fluid may have never been changed and/or cheaper pads were used during replacement.

sounds like your best bet is to have someone who's familiar with boxster brakes to evaluate it for you or take it to an independent shop.

vath2001 04-22-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
I purchased that set from Paragon, and they are just right for the driving I do (street + occasional autocross).

Thanks. Its nice to hear from someone who has bought a set from Paragon. I'll feel better now when I order and install their set.

Lil bastard 04-22-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vath2001
Thanks. Its nice to hear from someone who has bought a set from Paragon. I'll feel better now when I order and install their set.

I also got my replacement OEM (Textar/Pagid) pads from Paragon. Best price, easy service.

Immortal1520 04-22-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjanari
How many miles on the car?
do you know its service history, i.e. last time the brake fluid was flushed, pads changed, etc?

these cars are too expensive to just start changing parts w/o knowing what's actually wrong, so I second the folks who recommended doing the cheap stuff first, i.e. brake fluid flush, checking rotor thickness, etc.

btw, you wouldn't get a brake sensor warning light if the PO disabled the sensor following the last pad change, so I wouldn't rely on just that. also, depending upon the service history, the fluid may have never been changed and/or cheaper pads were used during replacement.

sounds like your best bet is to have someone who's familiar with boxster brakes to evaluate it for you or take it to an independent shop.

As of right now, 24321 miles. 2004 model. It was serviced before they sent it over, a month ago, but I'm not sure how legit that is.

Lil bastard 04-22-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immortal1520
As of right now, 24321 miles. 2004 model. It was serviced before they sent it over, a month ago, but I'm not sure how legit that is.

With only 24k mi., the pads 'should' still be in good shape. Properly driven, pads should last 35k mi. or so.

Of course, Track days, DE's or Auto-X (even a few) will decrease the number of expected miles.

I still think you have an issue with old brake fluid, but possibly glazed rotors or MC as well. Pull a wheel and inspect the pads and rotors, that will tell a lot. Also, check your brake fluid level.

But with an '04 it's probably a good bet that it's running on it's original fluid. Change that out and see if that doesn't satisfy you.

mdex 04-22-2009 04:44 PM

If your "new" to Porsche brakes and they don't feel fantastic you should have them looked at.

Pads, rotors, fluid, problems with the lines, etc etc can be hard to diagnose if your not familiar with them.

I would look to see who is a respected independent shop in your area and have them look at your brakes to see what the potential issue is.

Marc