Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #1

rear squeal, oil pressure, check engine light

In the last two days I experience all kind of problems. 'Check Engine' light stayed on all the time. ‘Oil Pressure' light comes on at idle. I just changed the oil and oil filter 2 days ago. The smoke is coming from the exhaust. There is a constant "squeal" coming from the back of the car. Are these all related to each other or just the coincident?

porszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by porszak
In the last two days I experience all kind of problems. 'Check Engine' light stayed on all the time. ‘Oil Pressure' light comes on at idle. I just changed the oil and oil filter 2 days ago. The smoke is coming from the exhaust. There is a constant "squeal" coming from the back of the car. Are these all related to each other or just the coincident?

Sounds like the basic AOS failure, a well documented "feature" of the M96 design.....
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Sounds like the basic AOS failure, a well documented "feature" of the M96 design.....
Where I can find the information you are referring to. Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Where I can find the information you are referring to. Thanks
Replacement of the air oil seperator has been documumented (with photos) on multiple sites; I'd scan RennTech, PPBB and the like; or you can get ahold of a Bentley manual for the Boxster (or access to the 13 volume OEM manuals), you should be is good shape. It is not a difficult DIY, takes a couple of hours, but can be done by nearly anyone that is interested in attempting it. Replacement parts are OEM and around $100-200 over the counter if memory serves.............. Good "Saturday" type project.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Replacement of the air oil seperator has been documumented (with photos) on multiple sites; I'd scan RennTech, PPBB and the like; or you can get ahold of a Bentley manual for the Boxster (or access to the 13 volume OEM manuals), you should be is good shape. It is not a difficult DIY, takes a couple of hours, but can be done by nearly anyone that is interested in attempting it. Replacement parts are OEM and around $100-200 over the counter if memory serves.............. Good "Saturday" type project.
Thank you very much for all your help. It is little overwhelming to me that at once I am getting all kinds of issues with the car. I am a female and you can imagine, I am not as good on diagnosing issues like you males are. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #6

It's not a male thing, just experience. A Bentley repair book is good reading even if you don't want to your own work. I'll give you an idea how things work so you're not at the mercy of others.

or

this site is a good reference too

Just a thought

Jim

Quote:
Thank you very much for all your help. It is little overwhelming to me that at once I am getting all kinds of issues with the car. I am a female and you can imagine, I am not as good on diagnosing issues like you males are. Thanks again for all your help.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
It's not a male thing, just experience. A Bentley repair book is good reading even if you don't want to your own work. I'll give you an idea how things work so you're not at the mercy of others.

or

this site is a good reference too

Just a thought

Jim
Thanks, Iwas referring to the issues, and experience, which I poses zero.I will definately read the manual and get myself familarize with it. Thanks for the advice.
Teresa.