986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Deep Sump Oil Pan Spacer, when is it required? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/20302-deep-sump-oil-pan-spacer-when-required.html)

ekam 04-17-2009 04:52 AM

Deep Sump Oil Pan Spacer, when is it required?

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =cd2510r9095&Category_Code=ENGMECH

Do you guys think I need this if I were to only go to the track 2-3 times a year? I won't be running R compounds so it's unlikely I'll achieve high G forces. How can I tell if the engine is getting oil starvation?

And what's the difference in putting that in versus the X51 Oil Pan with Baffles??

bmussatti 04-17-2009 05:43 AM

Not really necessary. Your car came from the factory ready to run on the track.

Lil bastard 04-17-2009 06:23 AM

It adds .5 qt. to the system. But, using it, vs going w/ the X-51 really requires modifying the existing baffles and my concern would be essentially moving the oil pickup tube slightly further away from the oil.

IIRC, the X-51 comes with it's own baffles and also an extended pickup tube. May, or may not, be absolutely necessary, but if I did it, it'd be the X-51.

:cheers:

Topless 04-17-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
How can I tell if the engine is getting oil starvation?

If you start to hear noisy lifters (tapping sound) stop and let the car settle. The only time I got a little lifter noise was doing back to back skid pad exercises in very tight circles in one direction. I stopped, let the car settle, topped off the oil and reversed direction with more rest time between sessions. All is well. Just top off your oil before track day and you will be fine.

heyjae 04-17-2009 12:29 PM

I doubt you need it with street tires. I've been on R comps for over a year with no problems and about 10 or so track days. Plus, I usually run with my oil level a little bit low. When I run with the oil level full, I see a lot smoke when I transition from sustained hard rights to lefts. With it about .5 qt low, it goes away. Maybe I'm pushing my luck. :eek:

mdex 04-17-2009 05:47 PM

I have four years of track days on my car with no problems. Relax, if you are up to date on your normal upkeep of the car you will be fine.

70Sixter 04-21-2009 12:05 PM

FlatSix and/or LN Engineering are selling an .5 qt extender with an oil pick-up extension.

Were I tracking my car I'd do it just to be safe. Especially if I were running .5 low.

ekam 04-22-2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdex
I have four years of track days on my car with no problems. Relax, if you are up to date on your normal upkeep of the car you will be fine.

That's great. Do you run yours on Mosport often?

timothy 04-22-2009 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyjae
When I run with the oil level full, I see a lot smoke when I transition from sustained hard rights to lefts. With it about .5 qt low, it goes away.

Does this happen when accelerating at high RPM out of the turn? If so, might consider the Porsche Motorsport oil separator.

heyjae 04-22-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy
Does this happen when accelerating at high RPM out of the turn? If so, might consider the Porsche Motorsport oil separator.

Yes. And last weekend, my AOS failed big time. I didn't follow my own advice to run with 1/2 quart or so low and ran with my oil topped off after an oil change. I had replaced the original AOS about 3 or 4 years ago with the "improved" version before I knew about the motorsport version. Anyway, a lot of oil got ingested, it won't start normally (occassionally it runs with what sounds like 1 cylinder firing) and is getting a code for the camshaft position sensor. The good news is that nothing sounds bent internally and I'm hoping the AOS failure caused the cam sensor to break, since the AOS is near the right rear cam sensor. That would only be a $90 fix. Crossing my fingers.

Once I figure that out, I'll be investing in the motorsport AOS and the X51 oil pan. Worst case would be that hydro lock occurred and the cam itself is out of alignment and something is bent. In that case, I might be looking for a 3.4.