Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 AM   #1

Tyre Choices

I'm up for some new rubber & am considering my options. I'm currently running P Zero's 285 on the back & 245 on the front. 18" Rims.

It's my daily drive car & I don't track it so just looking for something quite That wears reasonably well & still provides good performance.

What's your suggestions?

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #2

Suggestion

Suggest you do a search on this forum. There are hundreds of comments, opinions, and stories to give you more guidance than you would ever have any reasonable need of.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboxy
I'm up for some new rubber & am considering my options. I'm currently running P Zero's 285 on the back & 245 on the front. 18" Rims.

It's my daily drive car & I don't track it so just looking for something quite That wears reasonably well & still provides good performance.

What's your suggestions?
Falken Ziex 912
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #4

[QUOTE=aussieboxy]I'm up for some new rubber & am considering my options. I'm currently running P Zero's 285 on the back & 245 on the front. 18" Rims./QUOTE]
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2&partnum=84YR8GFTAKDW2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
dalealan2001

The best tire value(Price per perfromance) is the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (Max Performance Summer) . Ranked second in Car and Driver test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10
Old 10-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #6

I'm currently running Kuhmo XS tires on my Boxster and they offer great performance. My auto-x times have dropped quite a bit after switching to these from the PS2's, but they do wear out fast which is to be expected since the wear rating is 180. Probably not the ideal tire if you're looking for a longer lasting street tire. I've heard P-Zero's are pretty good, why are you wanting to switch from them to something else? If you're looking for less expensive tire that still offers decent performance and longer wear maybe check into the Kuhmo MX or Dunlop DZ101 tires.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #7

I have just brought a Porsche and the tyres are completely bald. can someone please tell me where I can buy tyres and get them fitted, I work various hours so if I have to get them fitted it would have to be at a convenient time for me. if anyone could recommend any sites they buy tyres from that would be great.
2012porscheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #8

Michelin Super Sports, they seem to wear well compare to PS2.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Michelin Super Sports, they seem to wear well compare to PS2.
And won a recent AX based shootout (C&D or R&T), with 10 entries from Bridgestone, Mich, Conti, Yoko, Kumho, Hankook, etc. Even beat the Hankook RS3's, and Kumho XS's (wet and dry, all around score and low times). I just got a set, they are awesome!
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #10

Not a recommendation as such, but have you had a look at tirerack.com?

I know you are in Australia, I'm in Perth myself, but I've had a look at the Tire Rack website recently and the prices are FAR lower than we pay for tyres in Aus, less than half price in some instances. If you email them they can quote on international shipping. I would explore this option myself, however I'm not in the market for rubber for at least another 6 months.

There is of course a GST issue if the total price is more than AUD1,000 inc. shipping, or you could split them into more than one consignment and avoid the tax. Also, check about other import duties that may exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboxy View Post

What's your suggestions?
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #11

Garage
I had Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my car, but now I run Hankook Ventus V12 evo. The Hankooks are better tires for overall grip, the UTQG rating is 280 vs. 300 for the Super Sports.

However, I can see how it would be easier to rotate the car at low speeds in an A/X situation with the Super Sports, because my box would oversteer more readily with those tires than it does now with the V12s.
ExRallyXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
DIY extremist

I found the opposite. my car felt way grippier on the michelins than the hankooks....

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote