Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #1

stebro race exhaust ?

I seen the the stebro race exhaust for my 98 boxster on ebay for $975 I guess the will take any offer like around $450 has any body used them are they a decent quality and how do they sound Thanks

rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
blkboxster

use search function
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #3

I bought the race exhaust off ebay. The lowest offer they'll take is $500 and then shipping is $85. There is resonance from 2K to 3K rpms. I personally like it but, most people don't. It has a nice sound at start up and above 3K. I'll see if I can get a sound clip this weekend. Oh and the quality is excellent.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
I bought the race exhaust off ebay. The lowest offer they'll take is $500 and then shipping is $85. There is resonance from 2K to 3K rpms. I personally like it but, most people don't. It has a nice sound at start up and above 3K. I'll see if I can get a sound clip this weekend. Oh and the quality is excellent.
How similar does yours sound like their (Stebro) video clip of the boxster s with the race exhaust and cat bypass pipes?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #5

I'd say pretty similar, you just can't hear the resonance as clearly in that video. The resonance is so loud from 2K up to 3K it rattles the interior. I've learned to drive it so I don't hear it as much now. I'm having my interior dynamatted soon so that may take care of a little bit of it though. If resonance is a real issue with you, I'd opt for the sport system they sell or something with larger mufflers.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #6

+1 on the sound clip please! I'm seriously considering the exhaust myself.
986 Special Edition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #7

+2, very intersted... how about on a 987 boxster S??
-porsche- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #8

any updates on the video?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #9

Ditto that! Looking forward to hearing it!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #10

The sound clip is already on the web. Scroll down for vid and sound clip.

Linkage to race exhaust clip
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
The sound clip is already on the web. Scroll down for vid and sound clip.

Linkage to race exhaust clip
That sound clip includes the cat bypass pipes and is louder than just the exhaust.

Sorry guys, I've been deathly ill with this flu going around lately. Hopefully, I've almost kicked it and can get that sound clip this weekend. I'll keep you guys updated.

Also, if resonance is really an issue, steer clear of this setup. I'm having a guy machine me some baffles for the exhaust right now. That's how much it resonates. Luckily, my dad just got a Tubi exhaust for his GT and it resonates enough that he doesn't enjoy driving the car anymore. Now the sensible thing to do would be to install the stock exhaust again but, we're not sensible and have contracted a guy to make baffles for us. Waste of money...perhaps but, with the weight I dropped off the rear, it just may be worth it.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 12-05-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #12

Hey YB,
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather, ....now that you feel better, get out there and drive the Box!

BTW, thanks for the info on the Stebro exhaust. I was considering it, but I have changed my mind....the resonance issue would drive me nuts.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #13

I put a Stebro Race exhaust on my 986, and I love it! The resonance is pretty loud as already mentioned, but my car is a recreational vehicle and I only really drive it when it's nice out and for short trips.

With the top up, the resonance is loud between 2k-2.8k, but I suspect that with the top down, it wouldn't sound bad at all. The growl at start up and everywhere else on the rpm range is AWESOME!!!! It really is a quality system, and for the price, it's worth every penny. I don't even listen to the radio much anymore, and the exhaust note gets everyone's attention when I drive around.
D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #14

I Bought my Stebro Racing Exhaust and Seconday Cat Bypass Pipes off of Ebay for $600 about 6 months ago. This was a Stebro Factory authorized auction. Shipping was an issue with this company and I had to e-mail them several times to get shipping info with absolutely no initial response from them. The exhaust was shipped to a shipping company located next to the closest airport to my home. I had to pick up the unit at their location. They would not deliver the unit to me. When I installed the exhaust, I was impressed upon initial startup! However, when I drove the car, the resonance between 2K-3K RPM was deafening. I drove the car for 3 days and developed a constant ringing in my ears. The sound up to 2K RPMS and after 3K RPMS was intoxicating but I could not stand the resonance and I did not want to wear ear plugs while driving. My reaction was to contact Stebro for a solution. I e-mailed Stebro they responded by saying they did not have a solution for me. They knew of no way to "fix" the resonance. I then ask if they would exchange the Racing Exhaust for their Sport Exhaust. Stebro responded by saying they would ship me a Sport Exhaust for $500 more (than the $600+shipping I had already spent) and I would have to pay the return shipping. I felt this was a rip-off, especially after they could offer no solution to fix a problem I consider to be a design flaw with their Racing System. I did not expect this from a company that designs exhaust systems for some of the world's finest automobiles. I decided to cut my losses and removed the Stebro Racing exhaust and replaced it with my old Factory Exhaust. I did leave the secondary cat bypass pipes on. Beware, if you are considering buying the Stebro Racing exhaust, understand that with the factory hardtop on, the 2k-3k RPM resonance is deafening. Additionally, with the softtop up, the resonance is hardly bearable. However, if you drive with the top always down or you can somehow manage to run the motor outside of the 2k-3k RPM range, your ears will be rewarded with a blessed sound......That is..... if you can still hear. :ah:
MidMotor2TrunkToter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #15

for those interested, i recently installed a stebro race exhaust on my car and took some video. the muffler took about three weeks to arrive via some company called BAX Global. i had to pick it up at their location by the airport. MAN, that company sucks. it took them an hour and fifteen minutes to find my muffler even though they called me to come pick it up.

once it arrived, i went to install & realized it wouldn't fit my car. the brackets were all wrong for a '99 2.5L. i fabricated a bracket and installed. it's pretty loud, but it really sounds great. i had it at the track thursday & got a lot of comments on how good the car sounded. several guys that were out with me are now planning on making this purchase.

the resonance between 2k and 3k is there, but it's NOT typical resonance where everything shakes and the sound takes on a brash tonal quality. instead, it just gets very loud in the cabin. sounds good, but loud.

the following three videos will show some of the difference between stock vs. stebro. the first one is a lap at full pace with stock exhaust. the second is an out lap, accelerating from the pit at full tilt on a medium paced warm up lap. the third one is mostly full pace with the stebro, passing a boxster S and a superformance cobra in the process.

FYI, to cut down on wind noise, the microphone is actually in the trunk for these videos. i'll try to take some w/ in-car mic both top up and top down in the future. i'll also try to post a drive-by at the track. enjoy.

Stock Exhaust, Full Pace

Stebro Exhaust, Warm-Up Pace

Stebro Exhaust, Full Pace w/ Passing

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
This is definitely the most beautiful exhaust for the 986 :ah:
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #17

Haha man o man, I finally installed the Super Sprint race mufflers on my 2.7 last week and that resonance was the big suprise. But I bought the race not the sport mufflers, so some additional noise should have been expected. I sent SS an email with my concerns and stated that since they were the race version the resonance was known. The sport version had additional baffles that took the drown out, since these were the once intended for the street. I was cheapo and bought the race b they were several $$ cheaper. Since I usemine as a daily driver, the droning gets tedious at times, and not a fan. Above 3 its solid bit man dont stay in that dreaded drone zone for long. I posted pics in the Boxster sect. on Pelican Boards if you want to check them out. Still havent got the tips, debating on what avenue to persue.
senna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #18

Slightly used Stebro exhaust for sale

Anyone interested in a slightly used (1 week) system PM me. I liked the way it looked and sounded at start up but the resonance at around 2.5 to 2.8 rpm just isn't for me.
YKS 971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #19

whoever with the stebro exhaust that is trying to get rid of...
i have a borla which probably, might be as loud as the stebro
maybe you would consider trading just for sound experience...
the exhaust is 3-4 weeks old....
boxster is not my daily driver...

*MidMotor2TrunkToter*
when you put the secondary cat by pass on did the CEL turn on?
fu03steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu03steve
whoever with the stebro exhaust that is trying to get rid of...
i have a borla which probably, might be as loud as the stebro
maybe you would consider trading just for sound experience...
the exhaust is 3-4 weeks old....
boxster is not my daily driver...

*MidMotor2TrunkToter*
when you put the secondary cat by pass on did the CEL turn on?
Doubt you'd get a CEL with Cat bypass. Both O2 sensors are fore & aft of the primary Cat. There is no O2 sensor after the secondary Cat.

2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote