Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 AM   #1

Help with installation of replacement radio

I am trying to replace my CRD-22 with a Sony BT3600 into my 2002 boxter. The Sony unit has Bluetooth phone, AUX and USB which I use every day in another vehicle.

The Sony comes with a lead which terminates in a standard ISO plug which plugs into the car ISO socket. I have purchased an adaptor which allows me to connect the other socket (which has the audio line in connectors) to the Sony line outputs. Looked like a very easy install, except that I hear no music!!

The radio powers up fine, and if I plug the Sony line outputs into my small travel amplifier I hear the music fine. I can also confirm that the music reaches the pins at the end of the wire so there are no faults in the adaptor wiring and the audio is going to the right pins. It switches off and on fine with the ignition, and I've measured the voltages on the ISO connector and they are identical to the voltages I get when the CDR-22 is installed, except the arial/amplifier control pin reads 12V for the CDR-22 but only 10.9V when connected to the Sony. To push the voltage up, I connected a 10ohm resistor between the 12V and the control pin but this had no effect (apart from raising the voltage on the control, of course).

The only missing pins are the "speed" one and the "illumination". It's as if the car amplifier just refuses to switch on. Does anyone know how the amp turns on or spot what I'm doing wrong. I seem to have measured and tested everything I can....

spielfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #2

Didnt get any responses, but just in case anyone is interested in the solution, here it is. My Porsche manual says that the yellow connector pin 6 is "not assigned", but actually it is - it's the control for the amplifier. Fortunately, the Sony has a separate switched 12V output so I connected it to Pin 6 and music now come out.

Peter
spielfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

Hi there

I'm trying to do the exact same, having trouble getting sound

I haven't bought any wiring, I just have the Porsche wiring and the small section of wiring that comes with the Sony cd player

I can get power, but have no where to plug the small yellow connection into? It has 6 wires and I can only presume are speaker wires, any ideas on how to get this working?

I too have purchased the full bluetooth handsfree etc etc sony cd player

McQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote