Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #1

Identifying relays

I am suspecting the relay that activates the horn could be defective. Does anybody know which one controls it? Or where to find that info. Boxster '98.

Thanks.

Last edited by Norxster; 10-23-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Norxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #2

Why do you suspect relay is defective?

Does the horn keep going off - seemingly by itself... like when you brake hard, or take a corner too fast, hit a bump? If so, it's more likely worn out bushings in the horn bracket in steering wheel.

Or, if it's not working at all (or only one tone), it's likely the horn(s) themselves are bad.

Bushings and horns going bad are common problems and easy DIY fixes.

You can always disconnect the horn and using a multi-meter test the wires but before we go there, let us know why you think it's the relays?

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #3

Thanks for your replay.

The fuse was originally removed, when I reinstall it, the horn goes off continuously unless I removed the fuse again. Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #4

Yes - bad bushings in the bracket in steering wheel. What year is your car?

If you plug the fuse back in and pull outward and try to center the airbag in steering wheel does it stop honking? If so, definitely bushings.

Here's a full description and remedy for the bad bushings. You can order a whole new bracket which at last check was ~ $50 from Suncoast or Sunset. Or you can just repair/enhance the bushings w/ a garden hose or some rubber o-rings for under $5. Start w/ Post #5 Here Steps are basically the same except you swap in a new bracket as opposed to just rebuilding the bushing.

I seriously doubt the relay is bad. However, if you think it truly is, I suspect you could swap it w/ another relay to test. The relay for the horn, IIRC, is located w/ all the others just above the dead pedal. Not sure which one though

Good luck and let us know what you discover

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 10-23-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #5

OK, I will try that, now in case it is the bushings, can you tell me is that a DIY type of work or something best to done by the pros?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #6

Most definitely DIY. Can't tell you how many people I know who have easily fixed their own.

Just follow the directions posted. Make sure you turn the wheel to access the screws before you remove key from ignition. Then disconnect battery and let drain for a bit to completely decharge car.

I see you're in CA, not sure where specifically, but there is an upcoming Work on Cars Day in Sacramento. There will be lots of resident experts there who can assist you if need be.

Here are the details.... WOCD - 11/1/2008
Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #7

Relay charts

For future ref, I found a good relay chart online at http://theschillings.com/boxrelay.htm

SG
macyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #8

Excellent info and find macyfilms - thanks

Norxster-
Just to quickly test the relays (I still think it's the bushings but...), swap relays # 10 and 12 w/ each other. Then plug your fuse back in and confirm the horns are still blaring. If so, then I'm 99.99% certain it's bushings. In not, then you were correct - it is the relay. I'd only swap the relay from 10 & 12 according to the diagram macyfilms found (#12 is for fog lights, #10 horns or you could use any of the ones from 18-22 - they're all identical p/n)
Old 03-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #9

Horn bracket in steering wheel

Hello,

I can't seem to find an online parts supplier to purchase the horn bracket mentioned in the previous posts. Is it called the air bag retaining ring?

Thanks.
ML
LeBreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
Hello,

I can't seem to find an online parts supplier to purchase the horn bracket mentioned in the previous posts. Is it called the air bag retaining ring?

Thanks.
ML
Suncoast Porsche. It called an Airbag Retaining Frame.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=airbagframe&Category_Code=POTEBXCC