986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Convertible Top Problem. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/20048-convertible-top-problem.html)

Immortal1520 03-25-2009 10:19 PM

Convertible Top Problem.

I'm still breaking in my Boxster, and I noticed that the right side of the soft top doesn't match the left side when the top is on. It looks like the vinyl on the top is kinda coming out on the side. Because of it, there's a small protrusion that's popping out, so I'm pretty confident that it's not fitting properly.

I've tried putting the top up halfway, fitting the top so it fits into the groove and closing it, but it doesn't do a thing. It goes back to the way it initially was. Is this normal? I know I'm being ridiculously anal about this, but this is my first roadster, let alone Porsche, so forgive me, haha.

I'll try to provide pictures when I can, but any help would be appreciated.

vath2001 03-26-2009 01:39 AM

When I raise my top, I stop with about 6 inches to go and have to make sure the strip on the DS and PS is in the groove over the windows. It just pops back in. Sometime one side will stay in, but the other will pop out. It's just something I monitor when I put up the top.

Sorry no pics.

Boxster_luver 03-26-2009 12:27 PM

My Boxster does the exact same thing except mine is on the left hand side. I too stop folding the top up about 6-12 inches from being closed so I can fit it back in the groove. Happens every single time. J2da told me that it's just wear and tear, so I guess the only way to really fix it is to replace the top. I just ordered a new top so i'll let you know if it keeps doing it after I swap tops.

schoir 03-26-2009 09:52 PM

Possible Solutions

Immortal:

I did a write-up that covers all of the causes of the symptoms that you describe, and their solutions, but it's too lengthy to post here.

Take a look at Mike Focke's website for the write-up, here, under the heading "When the Top Edge doesn't Fall into the Guide Channels":
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Let us know how you make out.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir 03-26-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster_luver
My Boxster does the exact same thing except mine is on the left hand side. I too stop folding the top up about 6-12 inches from being closed so I can fit it back in the groove. Happens every single time. J2da told me that it's just wear and tear, so I guess the only way to really fix it is to replace the top. I just ordered a new top so i'll let you know if it keeps doing it after I swap tops.

It's not necessary to replace the entire top to fix this problem. However, if you do replace the top and use the old shoulder plates and the tension cables from the old top, make sure that the overall length of the cables has not been exceeded.
Take a look at the link in the post below for the correct measurement of the cables when you replace the top. They can stretch out over time, but it's possible to re-size them if you don't want to replace with new ones.

Regards, Maurice.

FTD 03-27-2009 05:56 AM

Mine did this while it was still under warranty. The vague answer I have is a velcro wrap had to be stitched back in - it pulls away over time - or something.

Edit: Mike addresses this in his write up: "1. Torn or separated convertible top holding strap"

the top is now doing the overlapping thing again. I haven't yet taken a look to trouble shoot.

If I don't make sure it is tracking correctly before completely closing the top, I am concerned that I am stressing and causing harm to the top and its parts. If you haven't gotten this corrected yet, I do encourage you to do what you can to control it.

I am very appreciative / grateful for Mike Focke's web site and this forum. I've never had a car require so much attention and maintenance before. :eek:

schoir 03-27-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTD
Mine did this while it was still under warranty. The vague answer I have is a velcro wrap had to be stitched back in - it pulls away over time - or something.

Edit: Mike addresses this in his write up: "1. Torn or separated convertible top holding strap"

the top is now doing the overlapping thing again. I haven't yet taken a look to trouble shoot.

If I don't make sure it is tracking correctly before completely closing the top, I am concerned that I am stressing and causing harm to the top and its parts. If you haven't gotten this corrected yet, I do encourage you to do what you can to control it.

I am very appreciative / grateful for Mike Focke's web site and this forum. I've never had a car require so much attention and maintenance before. :eek:

If your car is no longer under warranty, check those velcro straps as it is an easy DIY. If they come apart or tear, the cable will no longer be guided into the proper channel when the top closes. In that case, you can sew in a new velcro strap or patch the old one. There are good photos and measurements in that write-up on Mike Focke's website for the velcro straps.

Regards, Maurice.