Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #1

California smog check failed

Has anyone experienced smog check failure due the onboard computer's data being erased after replacing the battery?! I was told that is exactly what happened to my 01 Boxster S and now the local dealer want to charge up to 3 hours of labor @ $149 per hour to reload the data.

Any input will be appreciated!

Sean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #2

Just drive your car normally for about 30 minutes, and everything should be fine after that.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I'd run from that dealer in a heart beat.

Where in CA are you?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #4

I changed the battery a few months ago and driven the car at least a couple thousand miles but the failure happened just last week. I'm in Palo Alto, CA.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #5

Wow, how do you reload a drive cycle? That sounds like BS to me, but I have no expertise at all in Porsche emissions.

Here's a RennTech thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19983

Many cars (like my old Tiburon) have an emissions readiness drive cycle you can follow to ensure the car is ready for smogging.

Your OBD-II scanner should also tell you if your car is ready for an emissions test - that will save you repeated trips to the smog station...

Good luck!
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Sean D]Has anyone experienced smog check failure due the onboard computer's data being erased after replacing the battery?! QUOTE]

Sounds like this is a $tealership you went to, not a dealership..LOL.
Replacing the battery should/have absolutely no effect(after effect) on the emission system of the vehicle...Even if what they claim is true-which i doubt (computer data erasure), your car should still pass the smog test.....Most dealers have jokers as "Service Representative", i would demand to speak with the Mechanic who "tested" your vehicle...Also, what "data" are they talking about they they need to "re-load"????LOL
BTW, most smog failures are due to emission related component failures NOT battery.

Last edited by spine911; 03-24-2009 at 01:46 PM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

Smile

Thank you all for your respnses. I also found some articles on Renntech and I think I've figured it out. Just need to drive the car a couple of weeks as my commuter to reset the OBD II. It was in hibration during the winter (past 4 months) untill I had to smog it for registration.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

When trying to get monitors to run, remember that it's how you drive, not how long you drive that matters. Based on my experience with other (non-Porsche) vehicles, the once-per-trip monitors will not run at highway speeds. You could drive at 75 mph from LA to San Francisco and most likely no monitors will run. I don't have the Porsche factory service manuals, so I don't know if those documents even explain the parameters (road speed, load, engine rpm, etc) under which each monitor will run.

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #9

I'm a Smog Tech for California.... changing your battery will erase the monitor.... I encounter this all the time.... just drive it a bit and good luck

blinkfan is offline   Reply With Quote