Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #1

Boxster ticking/clicking upon acceleration

Guys,

Recently, I had a new performance exhaust installed. Then, the car sat for a bit due to reasons beyond my control. Now, a month or so later, I had the power steering hose and the AOS replaced. Now, when I accelerate, there is this slight clicking/ticking noise...it is completely synced up with the gas pedal being pushed in and released.

It is NOT there upon idle -- just acceleration. I have heard it could be a tappets/lifter issue...if so, what is to be done about it?

I also read that it could be an exhaust gasket (which I only considered as the exhaust was replaced recently)

Any help is appreciated.

Rob

1981 911/C2 conversion
1988 BMW E30 M3 (henna)
2004 BMW 325

Past
1988 944 Turbo S
1998 BMW M3 Cabrio
germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #2

Garage
Isolate the noise first, have someone accelerate the engine and listen around for a point of origin. I’m guessing the new exhaust is louder than the stock system and the noise wasn’t there before so it’s quite possible the two are related. Only making noise on acceleration (increased pressure in the system) is another giveaway that it’s probably an exhaust leak.

If you can’t hear the tick, tick, tick…try covering the tail pipes causing back pressure and forcing the gases out the leak. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice -- I agree, I feel the two are related although from the online research it seems as though it could be the hydraulic lifters...dunno.

1981 911/C2 conversion
1988 BMW E30 M3 (henna)
2004 BMW 325

Past
1988 944 Turbo S
1998 BMW M3 Cabrio
germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote