986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   3.2 question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/19933-3-2-question.html)

asalian 03-17-2009 02:26 PM

3.2 question

so i have a 98 2.5 boxster i was wonder alot of people are doing the 3.2 and 3.4 swap. can i use just the short block of a 3.2 and use the rest of my 2.5 heads and stuff? i know with like some small blocks they do that so just wonder... guy on Creigslist is sellin a short block.....

Jake Raby 03-17-2009 05:00 PM

No, the 2.5 heads are not interchangable with the 3.2.. The bore difference is huge!

The 2.5 is basically its own engine, the 3.2 and 3.4 have interchangeable components.

Build that 2.5 into our 2.9 and then use the 2.5 heads-

asalian 03-18-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
No, the 2.5 heads are not interchangable with the 3.2.. The bore difference is huge!

The 2.5 is basically its own engine, the 3.2 and 3.4 have interchangeable components.

Build that 2.5 into our 2.9 and then use the 2.5 heads-

i thought the boxster engines were aluminum so they couldnt be bored out. if they can be what are the specs on the 2.9 and were do i get the internals for it?

Jake Raby 03-18-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

i thought the boxster engines were aluminum so they couldnt be bored out. if they can be what are the specs on the 2.9 and were do i get the internals for it?
With our process the original cylinders are partially removed and replaced with billet aluminum replacements with a proprietary procedure perfec ted as a joint venture between my company and LN ENgineering.

We have all the components for the 2.9 available as a component kit, or individual pieces.

I am assembling a 2.9 tonight!

chitowndad 03-18-2009 06:57 PM

Question for Jake

Jake,
So what is your recommendation for bullet proofing the 3.2 and what are some cost ranges? I'm assuming that you fix the IMS issue but what else is there to address on the 3.2? You're on the east cost, right?

Thanks,
-Steve

asalian 03-22-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
With our process the original cylinders are partially removed and replaced with billet aluminum replacements with a proprietary procedure perfec ted as a joint venture between my company and LN ENgineering.

We have all the components for the 2.9 available as a component kit, or individual pieces.

I am assembling a 2.9 tonight!

so what is the rate for a 2.9 upgrade? how much whp and tq am i looking at? would it be turbo/supercharge freindly?

Jake Raby 03-22-2009 04:48 PM

We are at 55% completion on the current latest and greatest 2.9 engine, this one started life as a 2.5
We'll have dyno numbers from this one at the end of the week if assembly goes well tomorrow and Tuesday. we hope this combination makes equal power to that of Porsche's new 2.9 direct injection engine... Thats the goal!
This 2.9 is VERY difficult to assemble, it has taken 3 days to get the shortblock completed, but that included notation of directives, measurements and tool modifications.

Yes, I do have Turbo and Supercharger specific versions of the 2.9 liter.