986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Am I the only one using NOS??? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/19908-am-i-only-one-using-nos.html)

blinkfan 03-15-2009 08:05 PM

Am I the only one using NOS???

THis is my first forum I've ever joined. About a weekago I joined this forum and I'm hooked!!! I love my car. When I was 21 I was in the market for my first car and stumbled upon a used boxster at this luxury auto place. I fell in love. This 1999 boxster 2.5L with 50,000 (three years old) had already carbon fiber accents... Without knowing anything about boxsters I installed a B&M short throw shifter because of obvious reasons...stumbled upon evolution motorsports and purchased a cold air intake system, borla exhaust system, and computer reprogramming. I also purchased an eibach spring setup to lower the car a bit. I have heard many people on this site talk about these mods already...
I haven't heard people talk about NOS.... I like to think my car is fast... I'm a fast and furious fan and purchased a set of green neon light for my porsche. These 350z and s2000 can attempt to race me sometimes... So I purchased a Fog system which shoots 50psi into my air filter... I checked my air fuel ratio by checking the OBD2 data with a Snap On Modis.... 15 to 1 was the leanest the engine ran which is good... The MAF sensor recognized the extra air and increased injector pulse width simultameously So I shoot NOS once in a while on the freeway and nobody knows but me. I don't have a dyno but I can feel the extra boost immediately. I have put around 50,000 miles on my motor since and it's in great mechanical condition. No engine knocking, the oils always clean, and no leaks... Has anyone else tried shooting NOS??? What 's your setup??? Has anyone changed their steering wheel to a custom racing one with nos buttons???

bkiersz 03-15-2009 08:50 PM

I had a 1989 Mustang convertible that I installed NOS on and it was awesome. At the time was only $400 for 100hp. Couldn't beat it. Dry system of course. Huge difference. I had an offroad H-Pipe with Flowmasters, Southside liftt bars, and I changed the gear from the stock 2:73 to a 3:73. Alas, the output was too much for the weak factory AOD transmission. It blew with two weeks left on the powertrain warranty. I removed the system and had the transmission replaced. I opted to leave the NOS off after the repair.

I think that you'll find that most of the members here have accepted the fact that the Boxster is not a 1/4 mile car. We don't try to compete with the WRX's and Lancer Evolutions in a straight line race. Give us some twists and turns, different story...

I think with a dry system and short bursts every now and then you'll be fine. I thought about it briefly, but even with an extra 50hp my 2.7 isn't going to be a giant slayer. The risk/reward wasn't worth it to me, but I can see why it would be interesting for some.

Lil bastard 03-15-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkiersz
...The risk/reward wasn't worth it to me, but I can see why it would be interesting for some...

Only if your Uncle is Jake Raby... ;)

:cheers:

Banana S 03-15-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkfan
...So I purchased a Fog system which shoots 50psi into my air filter... I checked my air fuel ratio by checking the OBD2 data with a Snap On Modis.... 15 to 1 was the leanest the engine ran which is good...

In a word, no.

15 to 1 A/F ratio while spraying = KABOOM.

So either you're talking about your A/F ratio when you're OFF the spray, which would be about right (stoich is 14.7 to 1) or you are spraying at part throttle (which also = KABOOM), or you are running WAAAAAAAAY lean on the spray (which will eventually = KABOOM).

Let's see some pics of this setup. Because a Fogger system is a direct-port system, which would attach AFTER your MAF, not before it. Color me skeptical.

edevlin 03-16-2009 01:08 AM

I have never tried NOS for a number of reasons including fear of engine damage, but its interesting that it has been working for you for so long. It would be cool to find a dyno and do a couple of runs with and without your NOS setup. Engine mods like these are all data points to explore the the envelope of possibilities with our cars. Its all about fun, especially if we can afford the consequences of our experimentation,

Ed

j.fro 03-16-2009 02:02 AM

Are you running the Sneaky Pete system? If not, which one. Sounds like you have plumbed the NOS into the airbox near the filter, before the MAF. You may be getting more benefit from the cooling effect then the actual NO2 charge.

A couple of non-engine related reasons folks don't use NO2, most of the sanctioning bodies (PCA, SCCA, NASA) that host AX or track events that Boxsters are classed in explicitly prohibit the use of NO2.

Stroked & Blown 03-16-2009 05:10 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ledNitrous.jpg

blinkfan 03-16-2009 08:45 AM

self-made

It is a self made system which shoots into the airbox before the MAF sensor. I think the cooling effects is what I wanted the most. I think I will take out the system for fear of blowning my engine.. thanks guys when I find my camera I will post a pic soon

ekam 03-16-2009 09:29 AM

http://www.fakejazz.com/images/nos.jpg

F&F4 is coming out yo check dis out.

http://www.fastandfuriousmovie.net

bkiersz 03-16-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

It is a self made system which shoots into the airbox before the MAF sensor. I think the cooling effects is what I wanted the most. I think I will take out the system for fear of blowning my engine.. thanks guys when I find my camera I will post a pic soon

I'm sure that some of the more experienced people can weigh in with more facts than I have, but if it is already on and you don't use it all the time, I wonder if it would be all that damaging to leave on? I'm talking a quick shot every now and then, not going through a bottle a week.

Thinking about the old NOS'd 5.0 has gotten me intrigued.

jmatta 03-16-2009 02:35 PM

With the inherit weaknesses in the M96 engine (rod bolts, IMS bearings, etc) I think you are playing with a ticking timebomb.

Hope it's fun while it lasts...

Adam 03-16-2009 03:07 PM

Here is a pic of my NOS setup. 300 shot. Now I have a 10 second car and I eat vipers for breakfast! :D

j.fro 03-16-2009 04:02 PM

Considering the cooling effect, have you ever had a look at the stuff from CRY O2 (http://www.designengineering.com/)?
They make cooling systems for intercoolers and intakes. The idea is NOT to chemically change the air fed into the motor, but just to dramatically reduce the temps, making the intake air denser. I know my car has a bit more get-up-and-go during the winter. Cooler intake air, combined with a 160 degree thermostat to keep coolant temps down and ignition timing advanced could allow the engine to stay in its peak power producing zone.
Thoughts???

bkiersz 03-16-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Here is a pic of my NOS setup. 300 shot. Now I have a 10 second car and I eat vipers for breakfast! :D

If it's a 10 second car you must also have an e-ram electric supercharger!

Adam 03-17-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkiersz
If it's a 10 second car you must also have an e-ram electric supercharger!

No, I have this! It has a scavenging effect on the exhaust flow so it gives me an extra 75 hp plus it looks cool.

edevlin 03-17-2009 08:47 AM

"I know my car has a bit more get-up-and-go during the winter. "

Ditto that, my butt dyno says my car is much quicker when the air temp is low.

Ed

coreseller 03-17-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

My hat is off to you buddy, I admire your initiative and ingenuity. That being said...it looks as if you do realize the costs of grenading parts / motors if you keep spraying. 20 years back myself and some friends were always screwing around with Nitrous (on American Iron V-8's) kits, changing out jets, carb plates, etc. We always found the weakest link in the driveline lol. Lots of fun though.