Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #1

Headers question

I'm looking at a set of headers on E-Bay. The brand is "Sure win products". I'm assuming these are chinese. Does anyone out there have experience with these? I like the price, but I don't wanna end up with a piece of junk. I plan on installing the headers, relocating the O2 sensors and keeping the OEM secondary cats in place. What do you think?

ty056r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #2

I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but those headers on ebay make me nervous. Inexpensive and cheap aren't always synonyms.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #3

I bought the surewinproducts headers on eBay a few weeks ago. I haven't installed them yet, but the quality looks pretty decent - quality welds and non-magnetic stainless tubes. For the price I felt it was a good gamble. I wonder if the high priced headers are really made any differently. I'll report back after the installation - I too have to re-locate the rear o2 sensors, keeping the secondary cats.
z281974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #4

For what it's worth, I got Dansk headers with the O2 bung already installed (I believe that some of the ebay ones may have that too). My mechanic ran the second O2 sensors behind the secondary cats and everything has been fine. No CEL after about 1,500 miles so far - and I usually drive in a rather "spirited" manner.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #5

I've seen the cheap headers on ebay as well. The price is tempting, and I also wonder if the Dansk, B&B, Turbowerx, etc headers are functionally any better. What worries me is cheap construction, and thus welds cracking, as well as poor sealing due to poor tolerances.

If anyone installs a set, let me know how it goes. You should be fine relocating the secondary O2s after the secondary cats.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #6

I have many posts about headers, I have maxspeed motorsports headers with 2 o2 bungs per header which deleted first set of cats. Still no problems with CEL. I have had them on since last June.
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #7

For those of you who purchased the "surewinproducts" headers, please keep us all updated on your findings.
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
I have the Surewinproduct headers on my 99. They fit and sound great. I was a bit skeptical as well but figured for the price, it was worth a shot. I would be a guinea pig. Well I tried installing them myself and ended up snapping 3 header bolts off in the block so I stopped and sent the car in to Farnbacher Loles to have them installed. They ended up snapping 2 more bolts, but got the job done, I would suggest not trying the install yourself, broken header bolts Suck A__! I would not say I can detect any HP increase from the headers but it also does not feel like there was any loss either. I am not related to the ebay sellers in any way, just my short review. I saved the stockers so we shall see how well the welds and everything hold up.

Steve
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #9

Tackling the bolts.

I just recieved my eBay headers..and I have too say..they are of pretty good if not great quality. The welds are really nice and they are very solid. I plan on installing them shortly and will post my findings when completed. If I dont snap too many bolts and get wound up..I will try and document the full install for those who would be interested. Wish me luck.
1998 Arctic Silver Boxster
stcroixdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #10

Good luck on the header install.

Here's my write-up (PDF) if you're interested:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17338&hl=header%20bolts&st=20

(you'll have to register and sign in to see it / download it)

Also, here's a link on the forum when I did my header install a while back:

Header installation - Need Help!

Hope it helps!

Enjoy!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #11

thisi s the second thread I've read where someone bought the cheap chinese ebay headers, and after going through the hassle of breaking bolts, paying someone to professionally do it, and relocate O2 sensors - the end result was "I dont' think it's any faster".

sounds like big fat waste of $$ to me.

anyone here install cheap chinese headers and think the car was noticeably faster??
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Engine Surgeon

I tested these comparatively last week to the fabvspeed units as well as the NHP and stock arrangements.

When all the test work is done on the 2.5 power package I'll prepare some data.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
thisi s the second thread I've read where someone bought the cheap chinese ebay headers, and after going through the hassle of breaking bolts, paying someone to professionally do it, and relocate O2 sensors - the end result was "I dont' think it's any faster".

sounds like big fat waste of $$ to me.

anyone here install cheap chinese headers and think the car was noticeably faster??
I am more interested in sound than I am in the minor (if any) hp gain. The more I read though the more I am inclined to be happy with the sound from the B&B Tri-Flo exhaust and leave the stock headers and secondary cats where they are.
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #14

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/162730-fabspeed-986-performance-package-dyno-results.html
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #15

Very interesting that the physical upgrades made the biggest difference (18.3hp), and the ECU flash just added 5HP and 1flb torque. So that answers my question if I should pay 1000$ to flash my car.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #16
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

$4750 for 25HP. Doesn't seem very cost effective.

I hope Flat 6 Innovations comes up with something more cost effective.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #17

It is worse than that...More than $400 per HP!

At ~3k RPM the gain is 11 HP, which works out to over $400 per HP.

Most engines live at 3k more than they do at 6k.

You want a Boxster with grunt, buy one with a blown engine and ship it to Jake, pay for one of his performance rebuilds and get the added displacement that really helps throughout the entire RPM range. He can get you to over 300HP if your pocketbook is big enough.

You want more sound for cheap, how about doing the Pedro's Sport Exhaust mod link .

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote