Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #1

Air Bag Light

Is there any way to get the air bag light to go off short of going to a Stealership? I have tried cleaning the seat belt contacts to no avail.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #2

Replace the receptacles. I think that is the only way.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #3

I think you need to find a shop that can plug into the computer to reset the light. There must be an independent in your area...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #4

Garage
If you go to a dealership they'll charge you $90 to clear the light. The only way to clear it is to access the computer, what you have is a fault. If you can find someone in your area with a Durametric cable and software they can clear it. If your in the OKC area I'd do it for free.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-13-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #5

Garage
I cleared the air bag light with the Durametric cable/software, sprayed electrical cleaner in the passenger seat belt receptacle, no additional issues.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #6

Garage
I got my light when I replaced my drivers door latch assembly. I unplugged the airbag to gain access and before buttoning everything up I op's checked the latch without the bag being plugged in. As soon as the key was turned on the the airbag system did a BIT check and the light came on.

I hope you know why you have the light, because if you don't your going to get it again without a known fix.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #7

Before you get your panties in a bunch why not:

1) Give the dealer service dept a call and ask them how much they would charge to reset the light. Times are tough and they might just give away this little bit of service to entice you to come to them with your next problem. Mine said they would reset the light for $30

2) Contact other local Porsche types. Someone will have a Durametric. Your local PCA chapter might be worth going to for this alone.

Either way its a 2 minute job.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #8

Some more info on the airbag light issue...

I had issues with both belt recepticals on my '98. Had both replaced, but light still reappears within a day or so of picking up the car. I have troubleshot the problem down to what I think is a loose wire somewhere between the seatbelt buckle and the computer. My problem is that I am 6'3'' and my wife is 4'11''. Every time I pick it up from getting the light turned off and having the appropriate buckle replaced, it stays off until someone moves the seat. Then the light is back on.

Before you spend a ton of time and energy on the buckles (300 a piece from dealership w/labor, ~ 150 apiece from indie shops w/ parts and labor), consider asking about the wiring harness and getting the dealership/shops word that if you pay them to fix it and it comes back, they will do more than keep reading the computer, deciding that the buckle was a bad part and swaping it out again.

If anyone has found a complete solution to this or has had repeated lights after replacing the buckles, please post!

dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote