Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
JMP

Convertible Top Dash Light

I have posted many questions about my problem on the Forum and have never received a response so maybe I am wording it wrong. Does anyone know what turns off the convertible top dash light when the top is either open or closed? I know it must be one of the micro-switches or the top control module or a combination of both. Please, can anyone offer anything to help on this matter? Thank you very much.

JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #2

If the top is fully open/closed (edit) the light should then go off.

Is your top fully functional, meaning it opens and closes?
Do you make sure to hold the top button until the light goes off and/or does it not turn off after you drive off?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)

Last edited by kabel; 02-10-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: I'm stupid, removed "and when you exceed 5 mph (forward or backward)"
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #3

It does help when you tell us the year / version of car. And describe the problem as thorough as possible (a picture does tell a 1000 words).

With my '98, when all the micro switches are made, in either up or down, the dash light goes off. I do not need to show any speed. My car does have new top, so I have to verify the edge of the top is in the groove by the windows as the top goes up. I sometimes have to push the top of the cowl down after the top goes up or down.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

sorry for diggin up an old topic...i have the same problem...03 boxster with tiptronic separate up and down top light....only the top light wont turn off even after the top is completely up and close....what am i missing??
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #5

Are you cycling it until the motor stops? Reason being it'll look either fully opened or closed but it's technically not until the motor stops completely and the light goes off.

Anyhow, there are a # of different microswitches throughout the vehicle which the top's operation is dependent upon. And in true Porsche fashion, some changed based on MY . Specifically I would presume the one to trip the dash indicator light is tied in w/ either the top motor(or transmission) or the clamshell.

Try to cycle it completely until the motor stops if you haven't already.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #6

i'll give it a try..thanx.!

udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote