Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
JMP

Help with Paint

Dear Forum members, I have a 99 Boxster that is Ocean Blue Metallic. It still has the original paint and it is in very good condition however I am putting a "Fiberwerks" body kit on it and will need to repaint the new parts and probably the entire car while I am at it. I am not a "Professional" painter but have painted many cars and motorcycles with great results. I have all the professional equipment such a large air compressor, spray guns, air and water traps, the correct size couplings and air lines for HVLP, etc. My local PPG dealer has tried many times to match the paint color with poor results. They have used the color chip, the car paint codes and even have done a "camera" reading but the color just doent seeem to be the correct color. I am beginning to think that maybe Porsche "tints" the first coat of clear with blue and green pearl to give it the look that other owners of similar color cars will see when looking at their cars in the sunlight. The paint seems to have a bluish-greenish glow to it that I have not been able to duplicate with the different basecoat-clearcoat type finish. Does anyone know if the first coat of clear might be slightly "tinted" with the pearl or if not I hope that a professional painter reads this and can offer some advice especially if you have the color codes for the correct blend of PPG DBC basecoat paint or can offer any other advice. Thank you very much, JMP

JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #2

Is it possibly a tri-coat process, I'm thinking, although your paint shop should know...

wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote