Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #1

Windshield fluid reservoir broken - easy or hard to fix?

My windshield wiper fluid light was on when I bougth my car. I thought it was just low. it's leaking. last time my car was in for service, the mechanic told me that it was cracked and needed to be replaced.

I asked him if it was hard and he said it was pretty straightfoward and he thought I could probably do it myself.

Anyone here done it? is it really easy? are there any instructions online for getting at this part? is it something i could repair with epoxy - or once it cracks, is the plastic weakened/fragile - and I should just replace the whole unit?

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #2

Send me a PM w/ yopur email and I'll send you the R&R procedure in Word form.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Does the fluid drip on the floor after you fill the washer tank, or, does is puddle on the floor when you activative the washers?

If if puddles on the floor when you activate, then it may be the hose that connects the tank to the washers has come undone from the tank.

Read more here:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18776&highlight=windshield+washer+tank
past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 02-03-2009 at 04:42 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

it drips when you fill it. i believe the TANK itself is cracked.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

You can get a farily good look at the bottom of the tank by removing the front driver's side wheel well liner. Its just a few easy steps and if you believe the tank is cracked, then you'll likley be doing this anyway.

Remove the front wheel, then remove the plastic nuts and plastic rivet holding the back part of the front wheel well, and look up in that fender. That is where the bottom of the washer fluid tank is located. From there, you should easily be able to verify if the hose has come off or not. If not, then you have better idea about a cracked tank.

Something to also consider is that the pump itself mayb be bad and leaking. Never heard of this in a Boxster but have seen on a BMW. The pump was leaking while just sitting overnight.
past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 02-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #6

ive had the same problem and can't seem to find much good help, but all i know is that if you remove the wheel and plastic in the fenderwell, you can access the bottle

matthew.herr is offline   Reply With Quote