Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #1

What to use to fill large scratch in paint

I have a large scratch on the very very bottom of the passenger side of my car.

It's maye an inch from the bottom of the car - it's in that lowe section that has a different texture to it... you hardly notice it...but I hate it.

it's down through the paint - it's white underneath... and it's fairly deep. it happened before i got the car from my dad - he thinks he scraped something - it's probably 1/8" deep - it is too deep to just use touch up paint.. and if I just sprayed some primer in there it wouldn't be flush.

I need to put something in there like bondo or some kind of putty that would fill the hole. I still have paint and clear coat left from my bumperette project...I wsa thinking I'd use something to fill the scratch, then sand it smooth and use my paintscratch paint can to spray it, then clear it.

I can mask the section off so i'm only painting the scratch. it's probably 2/8" of an inche wide and 2" long. it's not "body damage" but more of a really really big scratch...

any suggestions on a substance that I shoudl use to fill that before i paint??

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #2

It's fairly small. But, you want to dab some primer along it just to prevent rust. Then, if it were me, I'd use a 2-part epoxy (something like JB Weld or such) to fill it before color.

The epoxy will not shrink as it dries as a filler would and it can be sanded, will accept paint, and adhere for the life of the panel.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote