986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   I am buying a Motor!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/19338-i-am-buying-motor.html)

JAAY 01-15-2009 05:56 AM

I am buying a Motor!!!

I found a motor from LA Porsche. Does anyone have any experience with them? I am getting a crazy deal and putting a e-gas 3.4 motor in my 99. I have them including everything for the conversion in the package. ECU, Key Fob, Alarm, Harness, Throttle body, and even engine mounts. Anyones input would be great before I go ahead and give them the money.
Thanks

Brucelee 01-15-2009 07:15 AM

LA Porsche is a solid company. I have purchased from them before and they were quite good.

:D

JAAY 01-15-2009 01:45 PM

I was over on renntech and rennlist and they got some real poor reviews. Some people loved them and others hated them. I saw nothing about whole motors though. If you could elaborate on your experience that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Topless 01-16-2009 07:45 AM

Jaay,

I have not made a purchase from LA Porsche Dismantlers but they are my home town boys. Take this for what it is worth. I have "shopped" with them several times looking for parts, track wheels etc. They have a sizable inventory but often want full pop retail for used parts. Standard industry practice for dismantlers here is 1/2 retail for used parts in like new condition. I chose to keep looking.

The hearsay and scuttlebutt around town from other PCA members is that they are not crooks, just pricey. Most find better deals on the internet from other dismantlers around the country. I hope this was helpful.

PS How will you make an egas work on your 99 car???

Gougoushu 01-16-2009 08:18 AM

I just bought a set of cats and O2 sensors from them, and found them to be eager to please. They warrantied the items, which turned out to be just fine, and shipped quickly. And, they wound up charging me $100 less than the quote. :dance:

P.S. If you don't mind, what is the price for the engine, etc.?

Lil bastard 01-16-2009 08:49 AM

I have used them a few times with good results.

In one case, I bought a component, got a good price. When it arrived, they had sent the entire assembly. I used the part I needed and sold the rest of the assembly for about 70% of the price I paid LA Porsche. Also had 1 return and they were easy to deal with.

May seem pricey at first, but they will haggle with you, which of course depends on your haggling abilities.

I'll use them again when the need arises.

pecivil 01-16-2009 09:26 AM

I bought my 3.4 from them and they were solid. They delivered it all the way to san diego. When they took it off their truck they bumped the oil pump cover with their fork lift and cracked it.

They sent a new one the next day

Highly recommend

JAAY 01-16-2009 10:55 AM

OK OK OK

I will put the price up after I order it. I am getting a 2000 3.4 with 27k on it. I will update you all later on this after noon. Thanks for the help with making my decision. I do value all of your comments.

J

JAAY 01-18-2009 04:18 PM

Here is a photo of the 3.4 from LA Porsche. I can't wait to get it in my garage. I have other photos of the engine if anyone else would like it.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...icture3511.jpg

941MXVET 01-18-2009 06:47 PM

Your new engine looks super clean! I hope your happy with the deal you got. Have fun gettin it in!

Sboxin 01-20-2009 11:55 AM

Great project!
Please post your work in photos and text if you have the extra time.
We all appreciate the work and the documentation :D

Thanks and take care, :cheers:
Ed

JAAY 01-20-2009 01:54 PM

I will definatley do as detailed of a write up as possible with photos and video. I do not think that there will be much to show or tell though. I am going to be following Todd's write up on this one. It seems to be pretty straight foward with a few exceptions.