Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #1

Question concerning AOS

*Warning* this might be a stupid question but here goes:

I put up the Boxster about 2 1\2 weeks ago for winter storage, but I succumbed to a weak will and went out into the garage to start up the car and hear it run! Well it seamed to smoke quite a bit (white smoke) so I started surfing this forum as well as Pelican's. Several posters with a similar issue stated to look into the AOS. I read on this forum about replacement and looked into how much the device will be to purchase. After looking into this, I'm a bit confused

Dose the AOS de-foam the oil in the crankcase? And if that is it's purpose how dose oil end up in the intake? I saw the pictures with vent lines and what looks like a baffle of sorts, do these route the removed air back into the intake?

Sorry if this is too simple a question, just curious.

941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #2

Garage
Not dumb, I'd like to hear what the internal breakdown of the AOS is myself. As far as the AOS it does just what it says, seperates the air from the oil when the engine is breathing. There's a vacuum line hooked to the intake to draw the crankcase air into and then burned in the engine, EPA . Some how the AOS fails and the intake draws in the oil (super)enriched air and the car turns into an insect killer.

I don't think your car has an AOS failure, mine does the same thing when it sits for awhile. AOS failure will smoke all the time, I think . See what I mean, you have to sift through this stuff.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

I can tell you that if you need to replace it, everyone says it takes about 3 hours. I took mine out in about 4 minutes, no joke. Putting it back is a pain in the butt. Takes no time at all though. Just thought I would chime in.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #4

Thanks guy's! I will not worry until spring. And if it is a failed AOS it looks to be an easy fix! Again thanks!

941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote