Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

IMS question

I remembered the mechanic saying something about my intermediate shaft when I had the car in for the 15k service last year but I was not fully aware of the IMS failure issue then so I didn't think a lot about it. I just pulled the service record out of the glove box and sho nuf, it says they saw a leaky seal when they pulled the trans to do the RMS and they replaced O rings on the intermediate shaft. So does this mean that imminent failure was narrowly averted, or does it just mean they fixed a leak and I still have as good a chance as anyone to have my IMS grenade itself?

dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Engine Surgeon

The O rings don't keep the bearing from failing, they just keep the oil in the engine.. Your barings are just as susceptible to failure as any other.

Just drive it.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #3

Don't worry, I'm driving it. Only thing that keeps it parked is sub freezing weather and Pilot Sports.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #4

"just drive it"

Jake, I think many of us on this forum are not in a position to replace our motors right away with a reman. unit or one of yours because we're stretching it to own the car in the first place. Putting an 8k~$15k motor in it, which is as much as I paid for my car, is something I would have to save up for and it would take me three to four years of very disciplined saving to do it.

So what that looks like for most motorless boxster owners is a dusty car in the garage with flat-spotted tires that will probably be sold off for next to nothing = the end of Porsche ownership for a good long while, apologies to wives for pissing away thousands of retirement dollars and having nothing to show for it in tough economic times, and nothing fun to look forward to on sunny weekends.

Like DMCutter, I do drive my car hard. I pushed the car as hard as I have ever pushed it at a DE this weekend and I now have 25k on my reman. motor (#2, installed a couple of weeks before I bought the car).

But like everyone else on this forum, we're all thinking, "I wonder when the ticking time bomb's clock will finally reach 0:00?"

It's a real and sizable concern everyone is trying to learn as much about as possible.

Let me reiterate that I drive my car like I stole it most every time I get in it, which is weekly. That won't change. But an IMS failure for me probably means making one last post here on the forum to say goodbye.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #5

can the IMS be replaced when I do the clutch and RMS? I think the answer depends on if you have the single or double bearing and if so which can be replaced without rebuilding the motor? I think the answer is the single bearing and I think they started using them in 2001. I'm just so confused

Last edited by silver arrow; 12-10-2008 at 04:47 PM.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #6

Jake will certainly chime in on this question... he knows our motors like the back of his hand.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
"just drive it"

Jake, I think many of us on this forum are not in a position to replace our motors right away with a reman. unit or one of yours because we're stretching it to own the car in the first place. Putting an 8k~$15k motor in it, which is as much as I paid for my car, is something I would have to save up for and it would take me three to four years of very disciplined saving to do it.

So what that looks like for most motorless boxster owners is a dusty car in the garage with flat-spotted tires that will probably be sold off for next to nothing = the end of Porsche ownership for a good long while, apologies to wives for pissing away thousands of retirement dollars and having nothing to show for it in tough economic times, and nothing fun to look forward to on sunny weekends.
that about sums me up exactly....

if/when my car goes - it is going to sit in the garage and my wife will never let me hear the end of it....
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
"just drive it"
Meaning that engines are mechanical and even the best can fail at any time without any warning. I see lots of M96 owners that are way too worried about failure and end up worrying themselves miserably to the point where the car is not good for their health. Enjoy the car while it's running and don't worry about failures, if they happen they happen and there is no good going to come from worry.

Quote:
Jake, I think many of us on this forum are not in a position to replace our motors right away with a reman. unit or one of yours because we're stretching it to own the car in the first place. Putting an 8k~$15k motor in it, which is as much as I paid for my car, is something
I fully understand.

Quote:
I would have to save up for and it would take me three to four years of very disciplined saving to do it.
And thats why the whole engine situation is so sad. The majority can buy the Boxster, but can't afford to repair it.

Quote:
More reason why those who already have the cars should just drive them.

Quote:
Like DMCutter, I do drive my car hard. I pushed the car as hard as I have ever pushed it at a DE this weekend and I now have 25k on my reman. motor (#2, installed a couple of weeks before I bought the car).
Thats the way it should be driven, we still se WAY less failures from cars driven hard than those pussy-footed around town.

Quote:
But like everyone else on this forum, we're all thinking, "I wonder when the ticking time bomb's clock will finally reach 0:00?"
Sit back and enjoy the ride... Mine hasn't popped yet and I have had over 600 events of over rev limit occur so far as I purposely try to explode the engine.
Quote:
It's a real and sizable concern everyone is trying to learn as much about as possible.
And I wish we could share more.. Fact is people argue with the facts for no reason, with no experience and thats really depressing to those who DO KNOW the issues and can solve them.

Quote:
Let me reiterate that I drive my car like I stole it most every time I get in it, which is weekly
And I'd bet you'll never have a problem.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #9

Jake, I autocross and DE mine but would like to address the engines shortcomings when I change the clutch. Can the IMS be replaced without rebuilding the engine on a 2000 2.7. I'm looking forward to adding an oil cooler. Also, what oil do you recommend, I have never been a fan of Mobil 1.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
Jake, I autocross and DE mine but would like to address the engines shortcomings when I change the clutch. Can the IMS be replaced without rebuilding the engine on a 2000 2.7. I'm looking forward to adding an oil cooler. Also, what oil do you recommend, I have never been a fan of Mobil 1.
Unfortunately 2000 is too early for the removeable IMS.

Unfortunately you'll have to do a full tear down and then upgrade the IMS... Sorry man...
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #11

So, when was the 'removable' IMS available?

Boxster44 is offline   Reply With Quote