986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Brake Fluid Flush Question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/18807-brake-fluid-flush-question.html)

986Porsche986 11-15-2008 01:28 PM

Brake Fluid Flush Question

I found this post on the forum.

http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8831

According to this tutorial, you are to use the empty Motive to push ALL of the old fluid out of the system and into a waste bottle at the rear right bleed valve until you hear the sound of gurgling air coming out of the valve. Wont this method allow air into the system? I have read other posts where this method is also used, but just enough to only lower the fluid in the reservoir to just above the sensor, then start bleeding with a filled Motive pressure bleeder. Can any "experts" chime in and let me know if the method in the attached PDF is incorrect? Thanks.
:confused:

Paul 11-15-2008 03:02 PM

I would never do that and haven't. Introducing air into the system is a BAD idea.

Suction out most of the old fluid from the reservoir then refill it with new fluid, put new fluid in the Motive and bleed each wheel and the clutch slave cylinder.

Cloudsurfer 11-15-2008 06:11 PM

I'll second Paul on this. You NEVER want to get air into the system if you can avoid it.

JFP in PA 11-15-2008 06:56 PM

If you use air to push the fluid out of the system, you will need a PST II/PIWIS unit to cycle and reset the ABS system after you refill the system. The object of the Motive unit is to push out the old fluid with fresh, so you don't have to use the factory/dealer diagnostic computer to get the air out of the ABS valves and pump.

986Porsche986 11-16-2008 09:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I also agree with you guys and will NOT do it the way described in that tutorial. I received my new Motive on Friday and I was going to flush it this weekend, but I could not find any ATE Super Blue fluid locally. :mad: I assumed I could just walk into any auto parts store and grab a few liters. (Well you now what they say about when you assume) So its off to Amazon again to order some up and have it shipped out. Hopefully next weekend I can flush it out.
:cheers:

der Geist 11-16-2008 12:43 PM

Do yourself a favor and order blue AND gold. This way you can see when the old fluid is out of the system. Make sure you get the clutch bleeder as well.

FTD 11-17-2008 08:20 AM

Yikes! I need to update my DIY? Or remove it?

RandallNeighbour 11-17-2008 09:08 AM

The motive bleeder is very cool. No screaming at your wife to press on the brake pedal repeatedly :)

Where's the clutch bleeder's location, Der Guist? I never found it when I was bleeding my brakes last time.

BTW, you guys should note that our clutch and brake fluid reservoir are one in the same and the car shares the fluid.

John V 11-17-2008 09:55 AM

The clutch bleed screw is up on the side of the transmission. Can't remember which side (driver's or passenger's). I believe it is on the driver's side.

Don't forget that the clutch pedal must be depressed when using a Motive to bleed the clutch.

der Geist 11-17-2008 09:59 AM

I think it is right above the tranny if I am not mistaken. Here is a link to a Wiki page that shows it in detail. I think it is off center to the drivers side and easily reached from the under the back of the car (if you can bend like hot spaghetti). I think the pedal is supposed to be down (pushed in all the way) when you bleed the clutch.

986Porsche986 11-17-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTD
Yikes! I need to update my DIY? Or remove it?

FTD if you could update it that would be cool! Its a great tutorial and I'm sure the updated version will help alot of people with this beeding process.

Thanks again for the time to write it up.

Mark

Sboxin 12-11-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Porsche986
Thanks for the feedback. I also agree with you guys and will NOT do it the way described in that tutorial. I received my new Motive on Friday and I was going to flush it this weekend, but I could not find any ATE Super Blue fluid locally. :mad: I assumed I could just walk into any auto parts store and grab a few liters. (Well you now what they say about when you assume) So its off to Amazon again to order some up and have it shipped out. Hopefully next weekend I can flush it out.

Sooo...
Did you get the fluid flushed and what do think of the process?

Take care, :cheers:
Ed
(Roy)

PS: AZ PCA Ax this Sunday at Phx Stadium parking lot - interested?

CJ_Boxster 12-11-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
If you use air to push the fluid out of the system, you will need a PST II/PIWIS unit to cycle and reset the ABS system after you refill the system. The object of the Motive unit is to push out the old fluid with fresh, so you don't have to use the factory/dealer diagnostic computer to get the air out of the ABS valves and pump.

Only issue with using the PSTII for the ABS flush is that you can only have the PSTII actuate the ABS for only 15 seconds at a time or else it burns out the ABS unit.

CJ_Boxster 12-11-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Porsche986

According to this tutorial, you are to use the empty Motive to push ALL of the old fluid out of the system and into a waste bottle at the rear right bleed valve until you hear the sound of gurgling air coming out of the valve. Wont this method allow air into the system? I :confused:

Reason it tell you to first bleed the rear until the gurgle sound is heard is so that the resevour (spelling...) drains all the old dirty fluid out... You should perform the flush with a Motive container full of brake fluid regardless if old discolored brake fluid remains in the brake resevour.

In my case, I used the Motive system as well and was left with a resevour still full of old looking dirty blackend fluid, so what i did was remove the mesh debris catcher from the resevour and stuck a 5' long clear hose deep into resevour and held the other end of the clear hose below the resevour and inhaled some air out of the hose until I see brake fluid coming through the line then let it pour into a water bottle till no more fluid made it out, then I refilled the resevour with new fluid.

You shouldnt get any air into the system with this method since the hose cannot go deep enough to suck out fluid from the master cylindar, only the resevour.

:)