986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Evo air intake is it worth it? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/18787-evo-air-intake-worth.html)

jrblackbox 11-12-2008 04:20 PM

Evo air intake is it worth it?

Saw a great deal on the Evo air intake on 6speed. Been thinking about one for a while, but, don't know if it is worth the work to install, and then possibly fouling the MAF. I searched here but didn' t get much additional info to make my decision. Anyone here sorry that they put one in?

JAAY 11-12-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrblackbox
Saw a great deal on the Evo air intake on 6speed. Been thinking about one for a while, but, don't know if it is worth the work to install, and then possibly fouling the MAF. I searched here but didn' t get much additional info to make my decision. Anyone here sorry that they put one in?

I had it. I sold it. I had to buy a new maf sensor within maybe 5000 miles. I don't know if they fixed the excess oil problem? I will tell you that the factory air box seals out engine heat way better than a piece of plastic and weather stripping that comes with the evo kit. I was happier when I just dropped in a BMC filter. I know there is no cool growl from the intake but it feels like there is more torque than the cone filter setup. Just de-snorkle the thing and enjoy. Also nothing fits like stock. If I were you I would save three to four hundred bucks and buy a drop in (BMC seems to be built sturdier than the K&N) and use the factory sealed, forced cold air intake that porsche designed.

Just my 2 cents, I am sure someone will disagree.

Jaxonalden 11-12-2008 05:46 PM

Hey buddy,

I got a great deal on mine and heard it was tough to get the stock airbox out. I did my install last night. I've got an A&P and have rebuild jet engines, worked on aircraft, cars, motorcycles, boats, sandrails and ATVs since I was a kid. I thought this was going to be a piece of cake. Four hours later and leaving more knuckle skin on the engine compartment opening than I care to admit, the EVO intake is installed. The stock airbox? Forget about it, it's in 100 pieces and now I'm glad I bought one off of EBay. My complaints; :troll:

1. I wish the filter opening fit the pipe instead of using a piece of radiator hose to shim it.

2. I wish the pipe had a slight bend to it for a better alignment.

3. I wish it came with an Outwear it save the filter from getting dirty to quickly. I bought one off their website, perfect fit. It's easier to clean than pulling the filter and it's waterproof.

4. It now has one bad ass intake growl, I love it! :cheers:

Good luck with your install, you'll need to crawl under your car for a bottom mount bolt (stock airbox) and mounting two bolts for the new box. Get the car high so you have room to work. They say to remove the drivers side intake manifold for easy airbox removal, right! You can't get at two of the nuts so I got out the Channel Locks and went to town.

Dragonwind 11-12-2008 06:16 PM

I have had one for some time now. Never had a MAF problem from it and the sound it great. Just make sure the shroud is installed correctly so you don't suck in any hot air from the engine compartment.

Chris

Topless 11-13-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

I have used the K&N system on many other cars/bikes/sandrails before. I figured the EVO would be a simple way to improve the performance of my car with little or no downside. Here is what I have learned about the EVO intake on the Boxster so far. I was very surprised by what I found:

Pluses

The induction sound is marvelous.
It's a re-usable element that can be cleaned any time. Very convenient.

Minuses:
*Possible fouled MAF sensor from over oiling.
*Not smog legal on a street car in CA.
*Bumped me into a higher class (no longer street stock) for Auto-X and track events.
*In testing it was found to allow more air flow but also more dirt flow so engine life is shortened somewhat due to cylinder wear.
*PITA install requiring demolition of the stock intake.
*When tested by Excellence Mag. the Boxster actually lost power across the rpm range on both the dyno and elapsed time in 1/4 mile. Unless combined with high quality headers, exhaust and dyno tuned ECU the result is a slower car.

For me the costs far outweighed the benefits of adding the EVO. Everyone must decide for themselves what is important to them on their car.

jrblackbox 11-13-2008 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will pass on the EVO for now. I already have headers and an aftermarket muffler, I really wasn't looking for more sound, but hoping to get a little more HP.

Adam 11-14-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I will pass on the EVO for now. I already have headers and an aftermarket muffler, I really wasn't looking for more sound, but hoping to get a little more HP.

Have you looked into getting a ECU tune or reflash? Contrary to what some people think you don't need a dyno to an ECU tune. There is a local guy here that has a program on his laptop that he just plugs it into the OBDII port and downloads data while the car is driven on the road under various loads and then can adjust ignition timing, fuel air mixture ect. A buddy of mine with a highly modded vette had this guy tune his car and he said he noticed a significant improvement. And the nice thing is it's probably going to be way cheaper than say a REVO or GIAC flash that only gets things in the ball park and isn't specifically designed for your engine's needs. I think he tuned my buddies car for virtually nothing.

Topless 11-15-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Have you looked into getting a ECU tune or reflash? Contrary to what some people think you don't need a dyno to an ECU tune. There is a local guy here that has a program on his laptop that he just plugs it into the OBDII port and downloads data while the car is driven on the road under various loads and then can adjust ignition timing, fuel air mixture ect. A buddy of mine with a highly modded vette had this guy tune his car and he said he noticed a significant improvement. And the nice thing is it's probably going to be way cheaper than say a REVO or GIAC flash that only gets things in the ball park and isn't specifically designed for your engine's needs. I think he tuned my buddies car for virtually nothing.

A rolling ECU tune is better than a dyno tune. You can drive under actual road conditions and really get the most out of your software. Far more useful than either a dyno tune or off the shelf chips. And you have a guy who does this for free??

Adam 11-15-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless
A rolling ECU tune is better than a dyno tune. You can drive under actual road conditions and really get the most out of your software. Far more useful than either a dyno tune or off the shelf chips. And you have a guy who does this for free??

Yup I totally agree, I'll probably have this guy do a tune on mine if I ever do some mods. Well my buddy is friends with him so he kinda hooked him up, but I believe this guy does it for far less than the REVO/GIAC stuff. I watched him tune my buddies car and he even put an exhaust sniffer on it. He seems to really know what he's doing.