Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Bad Plugs/Coils ?

If anyone has an Idea on this, I would appreciate the info!

I was out of town for a few (4) months so the car sat. Returned and had to jump it, it
ran fine. 6 Months later, it started to take more revolutions at start-up before the
engine would start. The engine would run a bit rough while idling. I figured that maybe
the aged fuel might be the cause so I added some octane boost/injector cleaner and
immediately the car ran/started as usual. I continued this process for maybe 4 tanks.
Then the other day I filled the tank with just plain 92 octane premium. I drove about 7
miles and suddenly, the car started to bog out and run very rough. Starting from a stop,
I had to ease into first gear to get going. I had to ease into the throttle slowly or I would
(seemingly) flood the engine. Once I reached speed it seemed if I kept even RPMs, it ran smooth. I pulled the plugs but they didn't seem to be fouled. Now I start the engine and
it runs rough with the "Check Engine", light on. All fluids are current and topped off. All I
can figure is a problem with the, "Spark." I have 52,000mi on a 2001 Boxter S. Anybody
have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

14Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

Could be plugs or coils, but it could also be an MAF sensor or O2 sensors. Find a garage with a computer and have them check it out. I tried to self-diagnose this same problem once and ended up spending 1k on parts, when my mechanic diagnosed the problem in a 30 minutes and gave me a print out of all the error codes for 50 dollars. I replaced coils and an MAF sensor for no reason, it was justy my O2 sensors.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #3

Go to any of the large chain auto parts stores and they will connect a code scanner to your car (free) to let you know exactly what the codes are. Post the codes here and somebody can probably help you interpret them.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gottafix