986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   current emergency - battery exploded (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/18100-current-emergency-battery-exploded.html)

Boxster44 09-01-2008 02:27 PM

current emergency - battery exploded

I was just starting the car to back the car out and blam! Smoke came out from under the front trunk. Can't use electric trunk release and have taken the right front wheel well apart and can't find the e-cable. Can only imagine what the battery acid is doing right now.

Can anybody help me find that e-cable? I have the Bentley manual, but I can't find the cable.

thanks... posting everywhere.

rick3000 09-01-2008 03:52 PM

If your the second owner, check behind the front tow hook plug. You could use a cigarette lighter charger, or if the car is newer the fuse panel opener. Good Luck!

Boxster44 09-01-2008 04:06 PM

Rick,

Original owner... '03S. Checked the tow hook area - nada. Afraid to try alternate battery proceedure - because I'm pretty sure the old battery blew up.

thanks,

kj

rick3000 09-01-2008 04:37 PM

The tow hook thing, is that some owners put a ziptie or wire on the trunk release so they could unlock it through that hole. Since t appears your only solution is the cable behind the front wheel, try a search. I have seen a few pictures of where the wire is located.

Boxster44 09-01-2008 07:00 PM

Used separate battery to open hood. Found that the battery's plastic lid was cracked all over, but seems to have contained the damage to the area below. The battery was shattered. Pieces everywhere. I carefully pulled the battery out and started dumping baking soda on the areas that had collected the most acid - several pockets. The battery tray had contained a great deal and it foamed up with the soda for over 5 minutes.

I can't tell if any damage to all the wiring in there. I ended up sprinkling the area with soda and found many areas that had droplets attached.

Now - why? I have had a Porsche cigarette lighter maintainer for several years. I use it all the time. The battery was original and almost 6 years old. I tried getting a new one recently at Costco, but they didn't have any group 10s, so I thought I'd wait until they did.

Just wondering if my maintainer isn't working properly and 'overcharged' the battery? Can that happen? - overcharge = explosion?

thanks,

kj

skip_168 09-02-2008 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster44
Used separate battery to open hood. Found that the battery's plastic lid was cracked all over, but seems to have contained the damage to the area below. The battery was shattered. Pieces everywhere. I carefully pulled the battery out and started dumping baking soda on the areas that had collected the most acid - several pockets. The battery tray had contained a great deal and it foamed up with the soda for over 5 minutes.

I can't tell if any damage to all the wiring in there. I ended up sprinkling the area with soda and found many areas that had droplets attached.

Now - why? I have had a Porsche cigarette lighter maintainer for several years. I use it all the time. The battery was original and almost 6 years old. I tried getting a new one recently at Costco, but they didn't have any group 10s, so I thought I'd wait until they did.

Just wondering if my maintainer isn't working properly and 'overcharged' the battery? Can that happen? - overcharge = explosion?

thanks,

kj

The battery or system is probably not at fault for the explosion.. the battery puts off hydrogen while charging normally, they all do.. the two things you need to blow up is the hydrogen in a sufficient concentration,(trapped), and an ignition source.. I would check your cable ends & connections to make sure they are tight. any loose connection will arc when under a high current load, such as starting. Or more commonly, when aftermarket stereo doods start tapping off the battery...

Also, make sure the little vent tube is in place.....

And buy a decent battery.. like an interstate.. they all work, but the case vent & drain system on the interstate batteries are excellent. I have always seen the cheap batteries leak........

Sputter 09-02-2008 04:52 AM

Grp 10? The BCI number is 48 (grp 48) last i checked.
:cheers:

Boxster44 09-02-2008 06:08 AM

You bet. I found out about the hydrogen potential. Interestingly, there didn't seem to be that much acid escape (what ran out the drain tubes and was still around the battery compartment) compared to what I would think a battery could hold. So, I'm wondering if perhaps an old battery could spark from within if there's more 'room' for stored hydrogen inside and the condition of the battery itself caused an internal spark?

Also - yes on the group 48. I had the costco shelf number confused.... I think I had in mind the group 48, code #10 or something like that.

thanks again for the responses and information,

kj

jhandy 09-02-2008 05:19 PM

my emergency pull cable is located behind the passenger headlight/wheelwell.
Braided cable with a yellow pastic handel.
MY 2002