Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #1

Installed EVO Intake, Holy Crap!

I installed the EVO intake last night. Wow, was that an ordeal! It was the hardest easy job I've ever done! I think the install time rounded out to about 5 hours. Taking everything out was a nightmare. The stock Airbox was a PITA. I ended up having to cut it out. But when it came to putting everything back together, the job went rather smoothly and have no problems once everything was back in place. The sound is nice and alot smother through the revs. All and all it was worth it. But seriously, an intake should not require this:

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #2

Yeah I heard you have to tear up the stock box in order to get the evo or any similar intakes in. Kinda crazy. I don't think I would do that to my car. Does that rubber seal actually seat up against the lid? I don't see how it create a tight seal since it's underneath the mounting points.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Engine Surgeon

That is a lot of wrk for benefits that aren't that significant... 5 hours work should net 25 HP :-)
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #4

Nothing in these cars is cheap or very effective. I can get an STI an extra 100-150hp with bolt ons and $5000. $15000 in a Boxster gets you 43hp. Great little cars, but not cheap or easy. :dance:
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Yeah I heard you have to tear up the stock box in order to get the evo or any similar intakes in. Kinda crazy. I don't think I would do that to my car. Does that rubber seal actually seat up against the lid? I don't see how it create a tight seal since it's underneath the mounting points.
It seals well enough. It is a heat shield not a heat box. The main point of it is to prevent huge waves of from heat soaking the intake. It does not have to be 100% enclosed. Besides you're pulling in more then enough "cold" outside air to compensate for the little amount of hot air that might seep in. BTW, the stock airbox is really restricting.

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #6

Is the increased HP noticeable?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #7

Personally I think the sound is nice but the performance increase is not really noticeable. For the money I wouldn't say that it was a worthwhile upgrade, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited by Wingnut2u; 11-02-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #8

Garage
By the looks of the snorkel, the route the air takes in the intake box and the restrictions of the intake pipe that the EVO setup would allow air to flow more freely. HP gains? I'm sure their nominal. If we had some sort of forced induction I'm sure the upgrade would make a huge difference. But being normally aspirated you would think the numbers do grow in the higher RPM range, but not by much.

Wingnut2u, if you don't want your new intake setup I'm willing to run back down to Dallas and make you an offer just like the other stuff I bought.

P.S. As you can see the painted bumperetts aren't on in this pic.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 08-31-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #9

Especially for the base Boxsters, I dont think the higher-flow intakes make much of any performace difference, but they sure sound great. BTW, make sure there are no vacuum leaks resulting from the install, thats a great way to start lighting up the CEL.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #10

I've drove about 200mi since i put it on (went to the dragon). It sounds good and feels good, and no problems at all. I really only got it for my exhaust that is going on next week, now that is going to sound good!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #11

Sorry to hijack, but Zack---what you puttin' on, exhaust-wise??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #12

Be careful that the filter that came with the intake does not have too much oil on it. I blew out my MAS real fast with that intake. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully they redesigned a bit.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #13

Saved the pics. Seen the airbox mounting tabs broken off to get it out, but that looks like a fight.

Once asked a mechanic and he said he lowers the engine a bit and then can get the box out in one piece.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Sorry to hijack, but Zack---what you puttin' on, exhaust-wise??
I got SuperSprint Race with Fabspeed 2nd Cat Deletes.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #15

I guess everyone missed the Excellence article where they pulled the pants down on ZUCS a few years back for their intake that made LESS HP on the dyno?? ZUCS stood for Todd Zucione. Same guy who owns EVO. He shut down "ZUCS" and renamed it "Evolution Motosports". Buyer beware. Now he has worked with Sharkswerks to crack the security code on the GIAC software and will be facing LARGE lawsuits. GIAC dumped them like a bad habit after working with them for years.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #16

EVO Intake

Why hasn't someone come up with a low boost supercharger that goes where the AC compressor is now? It's right next to the air intake box. I would gladly trade my AC (which I use once a year) for a SC.
John Howar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #17

Good question!

The space under the intake for the AC compressor is VERY small. I believe you would have an issue with belt slippage also considering how far away the belt tensioner is from the compressor location.

Do you use your defrost? It turns the AC compressor on when you do

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Howar
Why hasn't someone come up with a low boost supercharger that goes where the AC compressor is now? It's right next to the air intake box. I would gladly trade my AC (which I use once a year) for a SC.
There's a supercharged kit by imagine auto for both the S and non-S cars.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #19

Yes! Imagine kit it easily the best kit out there!! I was involved with the very first TPC Supercharged Boxster 2.5 car. They did not have the fuel issues nailed down. The car was featured in Panorama, written up by Bruce Anderson back in 98 or 99.

Recently, I was involved with the removal of a kit that had been on a 2.5 engine for over 60k miles before it melted a piston

B
Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #20

If you are pulling the engine (i.e. extraction
of the old one is not an issue)
- what's the best air intake bang for the buck.

Might bore out a 32.L to a 3.6L and put Nickies to fix
a blown '00 S.

considering other changes while I'm at it.

thanks,

M

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote