986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Newest Mods (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/17599-newest-mods.html)

TriGem2k 07-18-2008 12:54 PM

Newest Stereo Upgrade

Well after going through 3 different setups in my car as far as stereos go I think I finally came to find out that I absolutely LOVE!

Here is a drawing that was made by a friend of mine who did the install for me.

I will post pictures of the entire install process this weekend.

Anyone interested in hearing what is sounds like and is local is more than welcome to PM me!

I must say rewiring the BOSE subwoofer I bought from a member on 6speed online really was the icing on the cake.

Note: NONE of the OEM wiring was used. My buddy rewired my entire car with 14gauge audio cables. We tucked away all OEM wiring out of the way.

http://i35.tinypic.com/k0gitu.jpg

Blkboxster 07-18-2008 01:00 PM

Damn that will sound great
:cheers:

RandallNeighbour 07-18-2008 02:18 PM

So tell me, if I were to start saving up for a kick-butt stereo system for my car, how much cash should I save for the whole shooting match, including installation?

TriGem2k 07-18-2008 03:55 PM

Randall,

This is the break down for my system.

1. Pioneer Avic F90BT $860 (Retail is $1200)
2. Audio Control DSP $500 (Retail is $750)
3. Alpine PDX 5 Amp $310 (Retail is $650)
4. Focal 3way 165VR3 $490 (Retail is $799)
5. Factory BOSE Subwoofer $250 - From Member on 6Speedonline
6. Double Din Install Kit from Trueillionaire $185
7. 100ft of 14gauge Speaker Wire $60
8. Tsunami Comp. RCA Cables $240
9. 4gauge Power Wire Kit w/ Fuse $40
10. 14guage Power Wire (For DSP Unit) $10
11. 18guage Power Wire (Remote Wire) $4
12. 9 Pin Connector (for quick sub disconnect) $5
13. 2 Pin Connector (for door quick disconnect) $3/ea
14. 4 Pin Connector (for Dash quick disconnect) $3/ea

That brings my total to roughly $3k. My buddy and I installed the system together so the labor was essentially free however I DID tip him $500. It took a total of 5 12 hour days to complete and that does not include tunning of the system.

Anyone who wants to have a listen and is local is more than welcome to check it out.

Cheers!

Gary in BR 07-18-2008 04:48 PM

Impressive stereo setup. I cant wait to see pictures.

Great job.

TriGem2k 07-19-2008 01:39 PM

Here are pictures of my install....

http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n430/JDeMircift/

More completed pictures to come soon.

Blkboxster 07-19-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Here are pictures of my install....

http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n430/JDeMircift/

More completed pictures to come soon.

wow, that looks like a tough job

TriGem2k 07-19-2008 04:12 PM

It was A LOT of work. Well worth it though.

blinkwatt 07-19-2008 07:51 PM

Dude I'll have to stop by and check out your handy work. Looks like it was a lot of work.

Cloudsurfer 07-20-2008 03:55 PM

I can completely relate to the amount of work this is from when I did my install.

Just curious, but did you just install your new 6 1/2's into the door using the factory mounting? If so, are your 6 1/2's essentially sitting in an open/ ported enclosure?

When we did my install, we fiberglassed in MDF to create a sealed enclosure for my Hertz 6 1/2's.

I am very interested to hear how you the DQXS. Are you using it mainly for time alignment?

Patrick

TriGem2k 07-20-2008 04:49 PM

Patrick.

The door 6.5" speakers are mounted to a custom piece of MDF that mounts where the factory enclosure screwed into. They essentially use the entire door panel as the enclosure. The speakers are designed to run in a free air atmosphere so it works out well.

You can see the MDF baffel in the pictures I provided.

The DQXS is flipping amazing. It can TUNE ANYTHING you want it to. I have to say though it is frustrating to work with in the beginning. You really need to spend time learning how it works first. There are a lot of menus in menus if that makes sense. Until this day I am still not done playing with the adjustments of the DQXS. My head unit is at 100% FLAT EQ. All the tunning is being done by the DQXS. Once I'm happy with the way everything sounds then I can go in and make adjustments from my head unit for specific sources such as iPOD, CD, DVD...etc.

James

djomlas 07-20-2008 07:23 PM

man, i dont remember when was the last time i turned a radio on in my car lol :D
nice job on the install tho

Cloudsurfer 07-20-2008 08:40 PM

Sounds like we have pretty much the same idea for the 6 1/2's. Mine are using most of the space that the Bose enclosure used as a sealed cabinet.

I have my EQ in the head unit completely flat as well, and tune my system through the ridiculous crossovers which are part of the Hertz MLK 3 system.

Are you really using the Bose sub as is, just powered by a better amp? I absolutely love my 8W0 mounted in the passenger footwell, so I'm curious how the Bose "sub" works when driven by a decent amp, and augmented by good components.

Patrick

TriGem2k 07-21-2008 10:35 AM

The Bose Sub was completely re-wired as you saw in the pictures along with the two midrange speakers on each side. The midrange speakers sound great with ZERO distortion. The two 5.25" subs Bose uses sound very very clean HOWEVER they are not extremely loud.

My original plan was to just get the enclosure and see what it sounds like then upgrade the woofers to the Focal 13KS or 13WS 5.25" subwoofers. I just don't want to lose any footwell space and modify any of the carpeting inside the car. Thats why I opted with the factory sub option.

Do you have pictures of your install including the doors and dash?

James

Cloudsurfer 07-21-2008 11:35 AM

I looked at the idea of re-drivering the Bose sub enclosure, but after looking at thing it just seemed like a lot of work for questionable results. I initially wasn't thrilled by the idea of losing footwell space and cutting carpet, but after the fact I can say that I can't be more pleased with how things turned out. The enclosure really doesn't take up that much footwell space, and sounds incredible.

If you search old posts here there are some pics of the install, otherwise, drop me an email and I'll forward them to you.

Patrick

TriGem2k 07-21-2008 11:50 AM

I remember your install of the 8w0 and was very impressed by the look. If only I could see it first hand. Most people other than the ladies that ride in my car are 6' or taller. Thats why I'm worried about that foot space.

Please email me (JDeMircift at gmail dot com) pictures of your door woofer, dash and your DSP unit install if you have them. What head unit are you running everything from?

What type of components are you running up front. What do you have as fill in for the rear?

James