Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #1

Window problem-- regulator time

I searched the forum here as well hunting around and was able to diagnose my recent window problem. When your window does NOT drop when you open the door but you do hear the regulator dropping...it's the regulator. No question, it's the regulator. Your motor works, you can drop your window via switch, you push the window down the little bit after opening the door... Your regulator is worn and now has slack.

I found this guy's reference and it rocked....
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

I have also heard Suncoast mentioned here and they had the best price for the regulator....
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=99654207504

Suncoast shipped the part, sent me the tracking number and when it arrived (early!) the box was completely open. UPS tore the whole end off of the box and workers must have had to put the part back in it several times in transit. It was so torn that I thought my wife opened it before I got home. I called Suncoast, explained what happened and they said to try it, if it's broken they will take care of it. Great service.

Part was fine and all is great again.
Just thought someone else could use the reference.

Jerry 92RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #2

Mine seems to be doing the same thing. Will move like 1mm instead of the required amount to open/close the door. Thanks for the user experience.
brewer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #3

You need a window regulator, got mine off ebay brand new for $200
  • Cross Drilled-Slotted Rotors, Pagid pads
  • 19" Wheels, Bridgestone Pole Position ll Tires
  • Maxspeed Motorsport's Headers and Muffler
  • EVO Intake
  • Short Shift Kit
  • Vosstek Alluminum Pedals
  • Stainless Steel Gauge Rings
  • LLoyd Mats
  • Stainless Door Sills
  • Schnell Front and Rear Strut Bars
  • 2003 Tail Lights ,Sidemarkers and Headlights
  • Silver Hood Badge
  • Silver Horn Badge
  • 986 Trunk Emblem
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #4

window regulator

Hi i have thesame problem. my driverside window doesnt work as of today, dealer told me i need a regulator, so at this point i am thinking of buying one and have a local glass person do an install, instead of the dealership.You see,i have never done this before, do i need special tools for the door panel?Is a big job? and can a local glass person do it? thanks for the help
bonvita1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #5

No special tools are needed. Read the "How to" that I included in my first post and that will list the tools needed. A large torx bit is needed but the rest are very common tools.

You could do it. I did mine in 2 hours working slowly and breaking for a long lunch. Mark the window while in the old regulator to help guide you on the new one. I eliminated all adjustments by doing this. I removed the old, installed the new and was done. Broke one clip on the door handle surround -and it's fine.

Easy job. Order from Suncoast for $175 + shipping and save yourself the labor charge.

Jerry 92RR is offline   Reply With Quote