986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Engine Mount removal...? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/17116-engine-mount-removal.html)

CJ_Boxster 06-11-2008 11:56 AM

Engine Mount removal...?

Yesterday i tried removing my engine mount so i can fill it with urethane but DAMN, that mofo wouldnt come out. I removed all the nuts from the engine side of the mount, then removed the 2 bolts on the chasis side of the mount... The bolt on the top of the Chasis side of the mount I couldnt get completely out but i got is loose.... But still i couldnt figure out how to wiggle that mount out of there.

I even removed the plastic clamp that anchors the water hose to the mount but still couldnt get her out. Anyone hear know any special tricks to get that thing out?

insite 06-11-2008 12:35 PM

you have to lower the motor about 2". remove the mount to engine bolts (some won't come all the way out; they're too long). then, remove the mount to chassis bolts. lower the engine 2". then, facing the back of the car, rotate the mount couter-clockwise. some of the bolt holes on the mount to engine interface are actually slots designed to allow removal w/ some of the bolts still more or less in the motor. once you get it out, it will be very obvious to you how it works.

CJ_Boxster 06-11-2008 12:49 PM

When i lower the engine 2 inches, does that help the mount clear the 4 studs?? cause i lowered it, not sure how far but those damn studs prevented me from rotating the mount and having the last bolt slip out of the slot in the mount bracket.

Other than the 1 water hose bracket on the mount... are there anyother things that connected to the mount?

insite 06-11-2008 12:54 PM

nothing else attached to the mount. the key is the ccw rotation.

CJ_Boxster 06-11-2008 12:58 PM

great, guess i didnt lower the engine enough. THanks insite!

Im going to try and replicate the new Pedro engine mount, hes got a street and a race mount, the new street mount is alittle more sturdy than OEM but not as Solid as the first ones he filled with urethane... i believe i have to drill 4 holes into the urethane once its dries, this probably allows it to have alittle more play.

insite 06-11-2008 01:04 PM

not sure what pedro's looks like. FYI, mine is filled w/ 90 duro (solid). it vibrates a little more than stock at certain RPMs, but very tolerable.

heyjae 06-11-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insite
not sure what pedro's looks like. FYI, mine is filled w/ 90 duro (solid). it vibrates a little more than stock at certain RPMs, but very tolerable.

I replaced mine with a duro one and it seems to vibrate a lot, especially under acceleration.

blueillusion97 06-12-2008 07:22 AM

I as well put urathane in it, it was 80 or 75 i believe. The car vibrates in idle you can see the back of a seat virating and the outside mirrors too. But i dont mind all that because there is a big improvement over the old riped mount :) and this car is not a daily driver for me so i just want it to be fun

John V 06-13-2008 04:44 AM

Don't forget to thoroughly clean and use the appropriate primer for the urethane. Without it, the urethane will not bond to the rubber on the mount. A buddy filled his mount with urethane without using the primer and it separated after a few thousand miles.

We ended up installing the updated version of the mount (987 part number). It's more durable than the stock one and at < $140, there's no reason to fuss with the urethane at all.

cheetah 06-13-2008 08:38 AM

Just to throw out the other options for those interested, there are also the solid Delrin (race) and the Aluminum and Polyurethane (street) ones that I make:

http://www.cheetahonline.com/products/c8037.jpg

http://www.cheetahonline.com/products/c8036.jpg

fu03steve 06-13-2008 11:26 AM

so what are the benefit of modding the engine mount?

CJ_Boxster 06-13-2008 11:28 AM

benifit one... If you have a broken mount... you'll need a new one

benifit two... Improved shifting and better alignment of shifter cables.

CJ_Boxster 06-16-2008 10:23 AM

Thanks Guys for your help!

On saturday I took the car to my old mans shop, used the rack/lift (made this 300x easier) and removed the engine mount... Sure enough the rubber mount was ripped at all 3 corners.

BTW, for the past 1.75 years I've had horrific 2nd gear grinding when down shifting or up shifting during hard cornering. Also i could never accelerate really hard in 1st gear and shift into 2nd without grinding it unless i waited for the engine RPM's to drop abit.

Now after I filled the engine mount with urethane, Shifting has improved greatly. I no longer grind in any of the senarios listed above... No grinding what so ever. I also notice another charactoristic, When cornering, i always felt like the engine would tilt over a bit, now i dont feel that anymore, the rear-end feel alot more like a single solid peice of machinery.... sorta like the engine is now 1 with the chasis and suspension.

The interior vibration isnt bad but the noise that transfers into the cabin bugs me abit. Almost sounds like my PSE was swapped out for a SteveFu signature Exhaust.... Sorry Steve lol :D

fu03steve 06-16-2008 01:53 PM

how much work does this takes?
about how long?

CJ_Boxster 06-16-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fu03steve
how much work does this takes?
about how long?

Took me about 2 hours on a lift. about 5 minutes to clean & fill the mount with urethane, then 20 minutes for it to sit in the sun... then install it

fu03steve 06-16-2008 02:35 PM

you think I can go to your dad's shop one of these days to work on it...
and I need to tight my exhaust and perhaps headers because there's a leak...

if that's okay with him and not too far from me!!

CJ_Boxster 06-16-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fu03steve
you think I can go to your dad's shop one of these days to work on it...
and I need to tight my exhaust and perhaps headers because there's a leak...

if that's okay with him and not too far from me!!

Sorry Steve, My father is the head mechanic and not the owner... Owner allows me to work on my car cause he likes me and I do work on there systems from time to time. Buy yourself some rhino ramps dude!

fu03steve 06-16-2008 07:13 PM

no place to put them
:D

got an apartment
!!
got enough junk already!!

John V 06-18-2008 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Took me about 2 hours on a lift. about 5 minutes to clean & fill the mount with urethane, then 20 minutes for it to sit in the sun... then install it

The urethane instructions suggest that it takes 24 hours to fully cure. I wouldn't want to install it prior to the urethane fully curing.

insite 06-18-2008 03:38 AM

i baked mine to accelerate the cure time.