Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #1

Gemballa springs?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Gemballa springs for the 986 Boxster? I was thinking about purchasing a set. I was told they lower the car by 10mm? So thats 1cm and thats exactly what I was looking for, also tightening up the suspension a bit. Does anyone know what the ride is like with the Gemballa's and if the figure of 10mm is correct on the lowering? I'm not changing anything else, just the springs. Also, does anyone know what would be considered a "good price" on these brand new?

ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #2

Hmmm... If I remember correctly, I think that djomlas has the gemballas...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Gemballa springs are re-branded H&R springs....
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Gemballa springs are re-branded H&R springs....
I thought the H&Rs lower the car an inch or maybe 2 inches? If so, there must also be something different in the spring-rate and obviously the size. Can you confirm that the H&Rs lower the car 10mm only? thanks for the input
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #5

I've got the Gemballa springs on my '00 Boxster S. There's no way they lower the car only 10 mm, my drop was a lot more than that. I've also heard they're the same as the H&R springs, which are like a 1.5" drop. Personally, I think they look great. I paid $150 for mine, new, but I got lucky, real lucky. I think you can expect to pay between $300 and $500, but I wouldn't pay more than what you can get the H&R springs for. Gemballa is not in the business of making springs, so they're definitely made by someone else. It's very probable that they could be made by H&R.

Performance is fine. I haven't noticed any additional harshness in the ride once I installed the springs. I think this is the best mod I've done for my car.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I've got the Gemballa springs on my '00 Boxster S. There's no way they lower the car only 10 mm, my drop was a lot more than that. I've also heard they're the same as the H&R springs, which are like a 1.5" drop. Personally, I think they look great. I paid $150 for mine, new, but I got lucky, real lucky. I think you can expect to pay between $300 and $500, but I wouldn't pay more than what you can get the H&R springs for. Gemballa is not in the business of making springs, so they're definitely made by someone else. It's very probable that they could be made by H&R.

Performance is fine. I haven't noticed any additional harshness in the ride once I installed the springs. I think this is the best mod I've done for my car.
Kirk did you happen to pick your springs up off eBay? I think I was watching the same auction.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i have them, and i like them
the ride height is PERFECT, ride quality improved over the stock puny springs, and it handles better. .. in my eyes i covered everything, and i installed them by myself, so it was cheap too
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #8

I've got Gemballa springs on my boxster as well, my brother picked them up for me for about 150 i think when i first got the car and he installed them for me so that was cheap for me and it didnt take him more then 3 hrs to do it, seemed pretty straight forward (altho i didnt help) haha
They do drop the car more then 10mm though, mine is probably a little more then an inch which is just what i wanted. Performance wise, ride is smooth- i wouldnt say improved but about the same as before, no changes
Anyway i think $300 is a good price for new Gemballas if your in a hurry and dont wanna wait for a deal.

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Kirk did you happen to pick your springs up off eBay? I think I was watching the same auction.
Yup, Marietta Tire in Georgia was selling them. Only one person bid, so I sniped the auction when it ended in the wee hours of the morning. I got them late last year.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote