Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #1

How do I clean my Evo Air filter?

I have had my Evo kit in for about 2.5 years and havent tried to clean the filter. Am I supposed to... Normally, I would have changed the filter annually for a stock setup. Are the Evo/K and N filters supposed to be cleaned.

What do you guys do?

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #2

The shop that services my car recently cleaned my EVO filter. They removed it from the car and blew it out with compressed air (it was pretty dirty) and than very, very lightly oiled it.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage

Last edited by steve00s; 04-10-2008 at 09:02 AM.
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
go to any parts store and get a recharge kit for k&n.
then wash the filter, blow it out with compressed air, and then oil it, let it sit like that for few minutes, and then blow it out with compressed air again, to avoid any oil remaining sitting on the filter like that, that will just end up leaking all over your MAF and damaging it.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Hopefully this filter is not too far gone that these suggestions won't help. Finding another filter with the same dimensions has been futile so far.

Name:  boxsterairfilter.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  127.6 KB
gnomish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #5

Garage
Go here for another filter cone Porsche 986 High Flow Intake System EVOMS and call them to just order the filter. I bought a second filter several years ago so I could clean, oil and let one sit so the excess oil drains off and won't clog the MAF. If you go on uTube and do a search for cleaning reusable oiled filters you'll find several videos that will show you how. The filters really need to be washed out with slight pressurized water from the inside out, let dry and then re oil. There are also several videos on uTube to show you the correct way to oil and not over oil.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #6

Your filter is not gone, it just needs a wash. I have the same filter and wash it often. I clean mine in a bucket using washing powder (hand washing powder) where I let it soak and rinse it under the tap visourouly, I sometimes repeat the process if it is really dirty. After I'm done cleaning, I blow it dry with a blower or compressor. I then let it bake in the sun for a while until it is dry and if there is no sun I use a hair drier before I spray on the filter oil I get from the auto parts store.

I find this process very effective.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #7

Well glad to hear I have options. Would K&N air filter oil work well for this?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomish View Post
Well glad to hear I have options. Would K&N air filter oil work well for this?
Any air filter oil spray will be fine. With the K&N you are just paying for the name, they are all the same and do the same job IMO.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:07 AM   #9
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Any cotton filter oil should do. They just come in different colours. I normally loosen off any larger bits with a Hoover and by banging the filter on the sink then just clean in the shower with washing up liquid and the pressure from the shower head with an old toothbrush.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #10

Garage
However you clean it clean it from the inside out. You want to push debris to the surface and off and not into the filter, unless you are using a vacuum cleaner.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #11

My local auto parts store only had the K&N products so that is what I got. Starting cleaning my Boxster's filter when I realized I also have a reusable filter in the GTI so did that one too.

Filters definitely looks cleaner and the water in my bucket is pretty murky. Directions for re-oiling instruct to spray until the filter is uniformly red on both sides.