986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   brake pad sensor (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/13268-brake-pad-sensor.html)

hangout 09-17-2007 08:07 PM

brake pad sensor

Hi;
any one can tell me, if I need to change the brake pad sensor while I put the new pads on? or, I can just used old one should be ok?

Thank you

blinkwatt 09-17-2007 08:34 PM

If your brake light is on then you will have to change out the sensors,if not you can keep your current ones.

fornowh 09-17-2007 08:51 PM

If your brake light came on the dash board, you will need to replace it. Save yourself some work.

pompous 09-18-2007 03:56 AM

I didn't know that. Good to know though as I think mine are well on there way anyway. Guess I might be doing a brake job this weekend lol

Couper1 09-18-2007 05:24 PM

I feel if the job is worth doing then do it right. Replace the pad sensors. They're not that expensive and easy to do. You'll feel better afterwards.

hangout 09-18-2007 07:25 PM

thanks for the information.
also. is it always go with the factory pads or I can try some aftermarket pads.
maybe the after market pads even better?
where to buy? how much around for factory and aftermarket?

racer_d 09-19-2007 06:50 AM

Aftermarket pads may or may not have the ability to install the sensor.

To me the best sensor is taking a moment when checking tire pressures and peering inside the rim to actuall SEE how much brake pad is in there.

Factory pads offer a great compromise- noise, dust, and performance. Aftermaket pads can be geared towards more performance, at a cost of noise/dust.

fornowh 09-19-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangout
thanks for the information.
also. is it always go with the factory pads or I can try some aftermarket pads.
maybe the after market pads even better?
where to buy? how much around for factory and aftermarket?

I just change my pads on the weekend. easiest brake job I ever done. One single pin. all you need and long nose pliers and screw driver. Hardest part is putting the wheel back on. I got my parts at Pelicanparts.com

hangout 09-19-2007 06:05 PM

thanks again guys.
I'm wondering, what's the brand of the Porsche factory part?
my friend paid $180 for the factory part for his 2002 911.

sifuran 09-26-2007 10:40 PM

Brake Sensors

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
If your brake light is on then you will have to change out the sensors,if not you can keep your current ones.

EVERYTIME I GO ON THE TRACK MY BRAKE WEAR LIGHT COMES ON EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NEW PADS.I CHEKED AND MY BRAKE SENSOR MELTED ,IS THAT NORMAL.

blinkwatt 09-26-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifuran
EVERYTIME I GO ON THE TRACK MY BRAKE WEAR LIGHT COMES ON EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NEW PADS.I CHEKED AND MY BRAKE SENSOR MELTED ,IS THAT NORMAL.

Nope that's not normal. Were they attached correct in the brake pads?