Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #1

Question Heavy Clutch and value add items

Hi,

Am new to the forum and to Boxster ownership. I have been looking at a 2000 Boxster S with a replacement (glass screen), ss exhaust and clear lenses. Firstly do these items add much value?

Second the clutch is heavy for town use. As a lot of my driving is in built up areas does anyone know of any mods that can be done to make the clutch lighter for town use?

Thanks

Mark

markgsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsy
Hi,

Am new to the forum and to Boxster ownership. I have been looking at a 2000 Boxster S with a replacement (glass screen), ss exhaust and clear lenses. Firstly do these items add much value?

Mark
I wouldn't say it adds value as in more dollars.
Clear lenses etc appeal to certain folks so it could make the sale easier but on the other hand, people who like their cars stock/factory for the year wouldn't.
It comes down to personal opinion. I'm of the stock type and wouldn't buy a car that's been modded. (and i'm not talking about consumable parts, tires/brakes etc).
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 AM   #3

I wouldn't pay "extra" for a glass rear window, but I would appreciate having one and nowing I won't need to do a replacement in 3-4 years of heavy top down use. So, it is a "plus" in my book.

Heavy clutch? Drive several examples to see if this is the rule or the exception. Also, check maintenance history to see if the clutch has been worked on, changed, maintained etc.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #4

A heavy clutch means that you have to change it soon. After that it will be softer!
it shouldn't be stiffer than any ordinary car.
Something in the construction makes it heavier when it's worn out.
Cost is somewhere around $2000 depending on if you have to change the Dual-mass flywheel too!
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #5

I thought the clutch in my 2001 S was heavy when I first bought it (June 06, 46,000 miles) but now I'm used to it. (My previous stick shift was an 01 Audi TT quattro with the 225 hp engine. That had a pretty light clutch.) A few months ago, I drove a friend's Viper (2000, ACR) and that has a much heavier clutch than the Boxster. (And extremely poor feel from the gearbox, IMHO.)
myeboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #6

"Heavy" is a relative adjective. I'd suggest you try to drive other examples of your car to determine if it really is heavy, or if that is simply your perception of it. If it truly is heavy, thats generally a solid sign you are due for clutch replacement in short order.

As to the glass top, I would consider that a plus.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote