986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   What kind of gear oil are you running? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/12649-what-kind-gear-oil-you-running.html)

oversteerdawg 08-13-2007 11:35 AM

What kind of gear oil are you running?

I've been a huge fan of Redline products for some time now, but this is the first time I'm having an issue. I just changed my 986S' 6-speed gearbox oil to Redline MT90 and I think it is too slippery for the synchros to properly engage. Shifting is very notchy. Once you get past the initial effort, it feels great. Is anyone else running a synthetic fluid, redline or otherwise, that works well in these cars? Please let me know what brand/type of fluid and what your impressions are on the shift quality. Thanks guys,

-Tom
'01 986S

CJ_Boxster 08-13-2007 11:54 AM

I use Royal Purple gear oil and report slightly smoother shifting but thats it, other than that, it feels close to the same as the mobile1 gear oil it had.

Rodger 08-13-2007 12:05 PM

I put in Royal Purple yesterday and I'm loving it. It's much better than the MT-90 I had been using.

blinkwatt 08-13-2007 12:25 PM

Redline MT-90 has been in my car for 6 months,no complaints.

IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO POUR IN THOUGH.

Perhaps you didn't put enough oil in there,could that be it?

kabel 08-13-2007 12:47 PM

I just had the gear oil changed with the rest of the 90k service decided to try the redline, I have noticed no change in shifting characteristics. I'll flog it a bit on the way home this evening and see how it feels :D

Rodger 08-13-2007 12:53 PM

The previous two posters, kabel and blinkwatt, both have 5-speeds. I had a 5-speed back in 2004 and it shifted like butter no matter what oil was in it.

I really miss the 5-speed, but the Royal Purple has gotten my 6-speed closer in shift quality of late. The Getrag unit is awefully particular about what oil goes in.

Blinkwatt, I used a small hand pump available at any local auto parts place. It screws right on to the bottle and makes filling a snap.

blinkwatt 08-13-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnell!
Blinkwatt, I used a small hand pump available at any local auto parts place. It screws right on to the bottle and makes filling a snap.

Do you have a pic of what this pump looks like?

kabel 08-13-2007 03:53 PM

Ah, I didn't catch on to the 6 speed part of the discussion.

I use this Hand Pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnell!
The previous two posters, kabel and blinkwatt, both have 5-speeds.

blinkwatt 08-13-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
Ah, I didn't catch on to the 6 speed part of the discussion.

I use this Hand Pump.

Awesome! I will keep that in mind when I change the 996s tranny oil. It was such a pain transferring the oil to a smaller container and forcing it into position to pour in on the Boxster.

Cloudsurfer 08-14-2007 06:00 AM

Redline 75W90NS in my 6-speed. Fantastic in my opinion, and what is recommended by Redline.

Patrick

trogdor 08-14-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750
Redline 75W90NS in my 6-speed. Fantastic in my opinion, and what is recommended by Redline.

Patrick

I have just recently read about this recommendation (maybe here) and then in the last grassroots motorsports mag there was a redline ad specifically stating that this was the type to use in Porsche transmissions because of the design/clearances of components. The NS part is important apparently.

wanna986 08-15-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trogdor
I have just recently read about this recommendation (maybe here) and then in the last grassroots motorsports mag there was a redline ad specifically stating that this was the type to use in Porsche transmissions because of the design/clearances of components. The NS part is important apparently.

I think the "NS" is "non-slip"?