Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #1

Fixed some squeaks

I fixed a couple of squeaks my ’99 was making.
Starter squeak: I bought a used starter on eBay for $64 and did the replacement myself. It was surprisingly easy to do. The throttle-body comes out quite easily. However, of the two bolts holding the starter to the motor the lower was a pain to get out. Not much room for a socket. I was finally able to get a closed end wrench on it and loosen it. A ratcheting wrench would have been the tool to use- if I had one. Now no more loud, head turning, did someone step on a cat sound on start-up.
Window squeak: The second noise was from the window regulator on the driver’s side. The window would make noise when opening or closing. While taking the door panel off I noticed that the boy shop I used last April couldn’t afford the 21 cent plastic fasteners that are used to hold the door panel on. Their preferred method was hot-melt glue. Twice. I removed the motor and opened up the gear box and found plenty of grease. After I reinstalled the motor I put some grease on the two rails but that didn’t help. Then I noticed that one of the two pulleys at the bottom of the rails was a nice light gray (galvanized) color. The other one had some rust on it. After some spray lubricant the noise disappeared after running the window up and down several times. On a side note- if you take your door panel off try not to damage the foam moisture barrier. I tore mine by mistake and then just pulled it off. Big mistake. It was $82 at the local dealer which was $20+/- over the Porsche retail price. I hate Porsche of Tysons. I know, Sunset Imports. But I couldn’t wait the week it would take.
Now if I can stop that noise I get when shifting from second to third…

Anyone want to drive my Boxster? I had surgery on my right shoulder (completely torn rotator cuff) last month and have not been able to drive a stick-shift since. I just start it up every few days so the battery won’t go dead and try to move the shifter. Too early for the movement it takes on the 4th to 5th shift. Maybe the first of November. Such a waste for it to just sit in the garage.

Regards,
mike

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #2

Not quite the same, but my drivers window squeeks and rattles all the time when up.

Hate to hear about the rotator cuff. I have a 90% tear in my left shoulder I have been nursing trying to put off the surgery as long as possible. My friend just had his left shoulder done in August. Seeing his recovery has me concerned as I have to do this alone, seems the first week will be very tough.

Good luck on the recovery, do your rehab and you'll be back to shifting soon.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #3

My driver door has begun making VERY annoying small squeaking sounds. I cannot tell exactly what is causing this, but it appears to be near the latching side of the door (i.e. right behind my left ear). I have taped the door striker to tighten the door seal a little, and this has not solved it. I had my audio shop pull the door apart and make sure everything in there was tight, and that the door panel was tight to the door and all was good.

Anyone have thoughts? This is driving me nuts!

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #4

Someone posted on here that they had cleaned the latch, and applied white lithium grease and it solved a door squeek.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #5

I am pretty sure my squeak has nothing to do with the latch, but I could be wrong. What I notice, and where I can really hear it making noise, is when I pull into my parking garage, and put the car at an angle going up or down the ramp, which flexes the chassis, and you can hear what sounds like the door making noise against the door seals. So, would new hinges and a latch adjustment solve this? Is there anything I can treat the rubber with to reduce friction on the door? This problem really is starting to drive me nuts and I can't help but think there has to be a stupid solution to it.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote