Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #1

Which year of Boxster S - Lap Times

Hi,

I think my next purchase will be a 2000-2004 Boxster S. I plan on tracking the car around 10 days a year. Is there a year / options that improve lap times or are all created equal in track performance prior to 2005? I do understand that the 2003/2004 was up by 8 hp and that may give me an extra .3 seconds per lap unless the car gets heaver. So, is there a year / options that I should choose? If so, why?

Thanks

Ed

CFRA_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #2

I would search out the lightest one possible with the fewest options, especially one without PSM or traction control.

The best "factory" option to enhance the cars performance is the MO30 suspension. That said, there are plenty of aftermarket suspension pieces available to make up the difference if you can't find an MO30 equipped car.

'03 and newer with the glass rear window is a nice upgrade, but certainly not a necessity.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

That 8 hp increase in 03 came from a switch from a stepped-style variable valve timing to a continuous variable valve timing, so the torque characteristics of the engine improved somewhat over the entire rev range. I'd think that might be useful, depending on the racing/driving that you're doing.

The 00/01/02 cars with 17" wheels were the lightest.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #4

Find one with no options... no psm, no com, no rear radio, less equals more. Look for one with Litronics because even if you are scared of breaking them you can resale them for over 1000. If you are going to track the OEM wheels, stay away from the heavy sport design 18" wheels... MO3O would be nice if you didn't plan on going the coil-over route at some-point, and at the least it would have the heavier sways.
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #5

I do plan on changing shocks and bars. I'll also go after-market wheels because that will allow 275 in the rear. One freind who races says that PSM is good becasue it includes something that kind of acts like a limited slip diff. He says even though you turn off the PSM for the track, the fake limited slip still works.
CFRA_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #6

Best option for improving lap times is finding a good driver! ...or improving your skills as one.

I have the US M030 suspension. It's nice but as was mentioned, there are better aftermarket upgrades (I'm probably going to go the H&R route). Suspension upgrade will offer you the best opportunity to improve lap times (after improving driver skills, of course)

I imagine you'll do your own thing with wheels, so I won't mention that aside from saying my preference is a wider wheel (front ~8, rear ~10 - need to go aftermarket for this).

You can go without the PSM/traction control if you want but it won't really make a lot of difference and having it is better for daily driving and resale.

The glass rear window is a bit heavier than the plastic.

Aside from that there's not a lot of differences you can look for between model years (OEM) - at least nothing that will significantly impact lap times. Again, if you go to aftermarket, you can replace the exhaust system (headers back) for some improvement. Remap the ECU for a couple more hp. These upgrades will cost you, of course.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 08-23-2007 at 12:12 PM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote