986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   need expert advice (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/11907-need-expert-advice.html)

chicharrra 06-27-2007 12:15 PM

need expert advice

So, I just bought my new 986 and I need more power. I have done some research on places to purchase parts for example (AWE Tuning, Body motions, GEMBALLA, Rinspeed, RUF) However none of these websites offer the kind of power I am looking for. I would like to hit 400-500 RWHP if possible. I am new to this forum and was wondering what others had done to get big HP gains and what their Dyno charts looked like. I know a fair amount about tuning vehicles; however, I know almost nothing about tuning 986's. i appreciate any information anyone can provide me.

p.s. money isn't an issue but..... obviously the cheaper the better!

-nik

porsche986spyder 06-27-2007 12:43 PM

400-500 Hp!!! Not going to happen. EVER! Even with an engine swap to a 3.4L you still won't get that AT the flywheel/wheels. It's just not very realistic. Your best bet to get more power is either a turbo, supercharger or an engine swap. And you may be able to get into the 300 Hp range if you modify it on top of that. :dance:

Boxtaboy 06-27-2007 01:00 PM

If money no issue, sell the 986 and get the new 08 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet. Even then, you don't get 500hp, but you'll be close. 500hp on a Boxster is hard to accomplish.

However, you could get maybe 400hp range with an X-51 packaged 3.8L engine conversion from FVD or Farnbacher Loles racing.

pteam 06-27-2007 01:12 PM

The boxster is not a raw horsepower speed machine. Its more about refinement, owning a porsche, great handling, and a top down experience.

If you were looking for raw horsepower in the 500 range you should have gotten a Z06 (not my favorite, corvettes are too common a dime a dozen on a summer day) or a new style viper with 500 hp (much more rare and better looking). You could have picked up a 2003 and up new style viper with 500 hp near 50grand. But sorry to say a boxster is not a 500hp machine, and IMO its not really worth taking out the engine if it doesnt need replaced right now and pouring all that money into a new engine just to upgrade the hp when you couldve just got a 911 Cab or viper for more horsepower.

r9i8c7k 06-27-2007 04:29 PM

Get a 911 turbo...500 HP in a Boxster is like trying to put a Tomahawk missle in a .38 Special.

j.fro 06-27-2007 05:46 PM

Not to be rude, but I'm wondering why 500HP is your mark. I started autocrossing my 986S last year, and I'm finding that except for long straights, which are rare, the car builds speed so fast that I have a tough time keeping up, and that I make a lot of mistakes. The two fastest racers around are in a Cayman and a prepped 914. They're unbelievable drivers, and I know their cars aren't breaking 310HP ... they regularly beat GT3's!!
If straight line performance is your thing, I can understand it. I had a 71 Camaro for a long time. It made waaay more HP than my 986, and ran 12's in the 1/4mile. But that was about all it was built for (it sure did great burnouts!!) The Boxster is no burnout machine.

easyc 06-27-2007 06:10 PM

400-500 RWHP is ludicrous in a 986. JP with his S/C 3.2 is making around 300 to the wheels. Dave with his 3.8 X51 swap is making a little more... I guess you could get close to the 400 RWHP range with a 3.8 X51 and a version of EVOMS's S/C... but that would probably be in the area of 40-50,000 dollars worth of mods... probably more... I guess RUF will do anything for you if you ask kindly enough... so if money really isn't a issue call down there and ask... they are going to tell you the boxster's chasis isn't really set up out of the box to handle that much HP... 400-500 RWHP would put it in the 5-7 LB/HP ratio range... thats fast incase you didn't know... and for a car that is built for balance and handling that is honestly too much unless you are running slicks, cup size brakes, and numbers on the side of your car.

If you want a faster boxster... you have some different routes... do you have a 3.2, 2.5, or a 2.7?

Topless 06-27-2007 08:25 PM

500 Hp in a Boxter is just wrong on so many levels. I am sure it could be done. RUF 3.8L twin turbo build is probably in the ballpark for about $50K. It sounds like you really want/need a Viper.

boxsterz 06-27-2007 09:32 PM

Sorry I can't find my link, but there were two makers with a kit advertising 500hp for someting crazy like $20k. This might be one, http://www.roocksport.com/main/tuning_boxster.php

Controlling detonation for hi boost will be very important for engine longevity. Will probably require lower compression forged pistons.

Nothing wrong with wanting more power in the box.

easyc 06-27-2007 10:37 PM

They have been a few attempts at Turbo setups, but most have fallen by the wayside. The IA supercharger or an engine swap is your best bet for the most bang for your buck... anything else is really going to be custom and cost BIG $. The original poster was saying RWHP... outside of a GT2 there isn't a 996 model 911 with that kind of power... and that engine (996 turbo included) as far as I know won't fit because of its dry slump lubrication system.

easyc 06-27-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicharrra
So, I just bought my new 986 and I need more power. I have done some research on places to purchase parts for example (AWE Tuning, Body motions, GEMBALLA, Rinspeed, RUF) However none of these websites offer the kind of power I am looking for. I would like to hit 400-500 RWHP if possible. I am new to this forum and was wondering what others had done to get big HP gains and what their Dyno charts looked like. I know a fair amount about tuning vehicles; however, I know almost nothing about tuning 986's. i appreciate any information anyone can provide me.

p.s. money isn't an issue but..... obviously the cheaper the better!

-nik

Well heck JP is in your kneck of the woods... get a ride from him in his 3.2 IA supercharged 986S... see if that is enough power for you.

dmcutter 06-28-2007 04:38 AM

Marc at Turbowerx is working on a twin turbo for the 3.2. He's saying around 50% increase in power at 4.5 lb boost which he feels gives a good margin of safety with the stock engine internals. Installed cost, around 8 grand. For another 5-6 grand, he can upgrade pistons, rings, etc to handle higher boost and says a 500 hp build is possible and the stock S brakes and sport suspension would be fine. BTW, he said their kit for the base model makes max boost by 2300 rpm so not much turbo lag to speak of. Hey, no one needs a 500 hp box, but to get more hp than a 911 tt for a fraction of the cost...I find it to be a very appealing concept.

porsche986spyder 06-28-2007 06:23 AM

Did anyone ever try this Gamballa twin turbo?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../Picture_1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../Picture_2.jpg