Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #1

Question Noise when closing top

Hi All,

Lately when i close my top i get a real loud knock sound right at the end of the cycle. Everything is smooth during the operation.. the top comes up, the clam shell comes up evenly but right at the end of the cycle i get this hard knock sound on the drivers side somewhere. After i hook the latch and take a look around the back of the car the clam shell is evenly seated and nothing appears to be out of wack.

I have read some other posts about a popping sounds... and this is definitely a knock sound?? If it wasn't so ear cringing i might think it was normal but I'm thinking this can't be right

So I thought before i start digging around on this one does anyone have any help on this that they might be able to pass along to me?

randy short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Usually the popping noise means your Push Rods have snapped off and broken. Try opening the top halfway so the clam shell is opened, then look underneath for the push rods... the have red plastic caps on one end of them and thats what breaks.

Here is a picture of what they look like...But instead of White plastic that is pictured... you may have red plastic... The White plastic ends are the updated version of the pushrods.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 06-06-2007 at 12:43 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote