Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #1

Cleaning MAF?

I'm doing some routine maintenance and getting Nicole ready for her winter nap. I have a few questions regarding cleaning the MAF...

#1 Should I clean the MAF considering I haven't had any problems? I have a little bit of a rough idle but nothing that would seem abnormal.
#2 How do I clean the MAF? I did some searching and couldn't find a good step by step?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #2

I would not mess with your MAF unless you need to. That part doesn't require routine maintence. If it needs to be cleaned because of a CEL or poor engine performance use electronics cleaner.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I second Adam's idea of not touching it unless it's giving you problems. The sensor is sensitive,you wouldn't want to spend $225-$300 on a part that didn't necassarily need cleaning anyways.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #4

Hi,

+3 leave it until there's a problem. If you have some roughness, when were the plugs last changed?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the input! One less thing on the list to do...

On another note, how in the heck do you get to the bleeder on the clutch? I couldn't for the life of me find the right way to get at it so I left it alone and just did the brakes. Should I be at all concerned about bleeding the clutch? I was planning on doing it simply because I had the car in the air and the proper tools out.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Thanks for the input! One less thing on the list to do...

On another note, how in the heck do you get to the bleeder on the clutch? I couldn't for the life of me find the right way to get at it so I left it alone and just did the brakes. Should I be at all concerned about bleeding the clutch? I was planning on doing it simply because I had the car in the air and the proper tools out.

Sammy, the clutch should be bled just like the brakes. I plan on doing mine this weekend and I will try to get a picture or two and a quick writeup for you on the procedure. I will be using a power bleeder for this job. The clutch works off the same master cylinder and resevior as the brakes. The bleeder valve for the clutch is actually attached to the slave cylinder on the left side of the tranny. Just put a rubber hose on it like the brakes and bleed away.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Sammy, the clutch should be bled just like the brakes. I plan on doing mine this weekend and I will try to get a picture or two and a quick writeup for you on the procedure. I will be using a power bleeder for this job. The clutch works off the same master cylinder and resevior as the brakes. The bleeder valve for the clutch is actually attached to the slave cylinder on the left side of the tranny. Just put a rubber hose on it like the brakes and bleed away.
Thanks for the information, but my question is how do you physically get your hand and a wrench to the bleeder valve on the transmission to bleed the clutch? I found the bleeder valve but in working from underneath the driver rear of the vehicle I couldn't get my hands and wrench on the valve.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #8

P0104 + P0114 OBD-II Trouble Code

It looks like their is a lot of good advise out there. Can anyone help me with this one. My check engine light just came on in my 99 Boxster this week. I am getting codes P0104 and P0114. It has something to do with the MAF from what I have read. Any suggestions on what to do???

Thanks
Ryan
ra7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #9

I recently cleaned my MAF... but then, my car was idling kinda rough with the AC on. It seems to have smoothed out quite a bit. There was visible crud on the MAF that came off.

Use some MAF cleaner, or electronics cleaner, and be careful. I didn't get the impression that the unit was fragile, but that didn't mean I didn't treat it with care! Those suckers aren't cheap to replace!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #10

Thanks a lot FrayAdjacent. So are their instructions online for cleaning the MAF or should I break down and buy the Maintenance Manual?

Thanks

[IMG]
ra7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #11

Instructions for cleaning the MAF :

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )