Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #1

Tapping, Thumping coming from passenger dash..need help

Hi all, its been a while. Am having an issue that i cannot figure out. I have done searches for past threads but cannot find anything that exactly describes this problem. I have been noticing that there is a thumping noise coming from the passenger side's dash, probably behind the airbag. My blowers and fans are working fine, so i have no idea what it could be. It is inconsistent, the loudness does vary. Any ideas???

Old 05-24-2007, 04:06 AM   #2

i kinda have the same issue. just random tapping noise from the dash that sounds similar to small stone hitting windshield. i've been ignoring it and thinking that it's just lose clip on the dash somewhere. should i be worried?
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 AM   #3

For me its more of like a motor or something behind the dash that sounds like it is about to die.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #4

Hi,

Porsche has a TSB out on these very noises. It is TSB 1/00 7018. It states two possible causes:

- loose or sagging electrical harness - solution: Wire Tie Harness away from Dash, Vents, Fan Motor Housing, etc.

- Air Supply Ducts hitting Fan Motor Housing, or rivets on backside of Dash - solution: Relocate Ducts or place Foam Tapr between Ducts and any contact points.

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote