Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #1

996 MAF in 2000 986 S

Hello All,

Been a proud owner of a 2000 Boxster S for about 3 months now, watching for longer. Lots of excellant information and advice here ... thanks to all who are more knowing for the help.

SO here's my story, I was changing my oil and noticed a small amount of oil on the driver's side valve cover but no drips. Turned out to be the crankcase sleeve (spark plug well ???) but since it was a CPO car and they gave me a Cayman S as a loaner I figured I give them something to look for while I was there.

I've had a problem with cold starts and rough idle, so I asked them to check it out.

The solution was to replace the MAF (under warranty) with the correct one.

Seems that in the car's prior life a shop replaced the orignal MAF with a 996 MAF (996660612400). The dealer replaced it with 986-606-125-01. Was this some kind of upgrade or incompetance? Not sure what to make of it since I have all the service records since 'birth'.

Car runs better now, just need to get that 3.4l sound out of my head

Any suggestions on exhaust ?

Thanks, John

2000-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #2

John, I have heard of a MAF upgrade for the Boxster to handle certain Air filter brands (K&N for one) that seem to mess up the overly sensitive MAF. Since Porsche does use many of its' parts interchangably between models It is possible that the 996 and Boxster share the same upgraded MAF.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 AM   #3

Air Filter

The 996 MAFs are ruined by the K&N filters as well. Its the oil. I dont know if some people soak them or just use a little of the oil. But the point being is becareful with the K&N stuff. I have known people to remove them just because they have gone thru 2 or 3 MAF's. Personally, i use them but I dont oil them so I dont chance ruining my MAF.

just something to think about.
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohertycm
The 996 MAFs are ruined by the K&N filters as well. Its the oil. I dont know if some people soak them or just use a little of the oil. But the point being is becareful with the K&N stuff. I have known people to remove them just because they have gone thru 2 or 3 MAF's. Personally, i use them but I dont oil them so I dont chance ruining my MAF.

just something to think about.
If you're using a K&N without oil, you're not doing a whole lot of filtering.

Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote