986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   camber plate differences (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/11173-camber-plate-differences.html)

KenT 05-12-2007 06:11 AM

camber plate differences

I plan to put camber plates on my 2000 Boxster S. I see a number of choices (TRG, EVO, Epiq, Racer's Edge coming out with some) with a wide range of prices. Can someone fill me in on the differences? Why is one set worth twice the price of another set?

Thanks.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 05-18-2007 07:11 PM

I can't help you on this question but you can help me.

What is a Camber plate?
What does it do for the car?

Sammy 05-20-2007 05:50 PM

I'm sure someone will have a better and more "technical" explanation but a camber plate adjust the suspension geometry as you turn the steering wheel. It keeps the contact patch as large as possible when the wheels are turned. I've never been hip to using these (meaning I don't know how to use these for the best results) but I believe I read this somewhere in a vehicle dynamics book?

On a similar note I have noticed that my R compound tires are wearing quite rapidly on the outside of my front tires (all I do is autox). Is this the result of not enough camber?

racer_d 05-21-2007 05:41 AM

Camber plates allow greater adjustability of Camber. Almost always, it is more NEGATIVE camber that is desired to reduce wear on the outside edges of tires.

Sammy, in your case yes, they would help you reduce excessive tire wear on the outside shoulders of your tires.

The stock 986 front suspension seems to allow between -0.8 and -1.2 degrees of negative camber. "R" compound tires typically ask for -2.0 to -2.5 degrees of negative camber.

While I haven't reviewed all brands available, most differ in materials and overall design, although their goals are the same. Also consider some brands have more experience in certain component designs and it is even possible that 2 are actually alike, only "branded" differently.

KenT 05-21-2007 06:18 PM

As stated before, camber plates will let me adjust the camber more. Camber is the tilt of the wheels from vertical, in towards the center of the car is negative camber. (Tilt back/front is caster).

Yes, the outside edges wearing in hard driving is a result of not enough camber. I have the same problem. With my 030 suspension I can get a maximum of -.5 to -.75 degrees. I have -1.5 degrees in back and have no problems. I hope to get -2.0 in front and -2.5 in the rear.

racer_d 05-21-2007 06:28 PM

The only item that is keeping me from putting some on my car is the class penatly I would pay for my local autocrossing. Camber plates would put me in the improved or modified class.. and well.. that might not be best.

Then again, $300-500 bucks on Camber plates eliminates $500 chunks of money spent for new tires that become needed more frequently than desired.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 05-22-2007 11:57 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Now, would changing the Camber mess up the cars wheel alignment? Or is the wheel alignment a subjective thing dictated by how you want to use the car, i.e. Auto-X?

I've always been told that if your wheel alignment is not correct you will wear out your tires faster. And at about $220 per tire fronts and $285 per rears that's some chunk of change.

Sammy 05-22-2007 02:16 PM

Sorry about my brain fart, for some reason I put a definition for caster down (some people use caster plates) and called it camber.

Can you adjust camber plates without taking them in for an alignment? I switch my track wheels out every couple weeks and sure as heck don't want to be paying for camber alignment.

der Geist 05-26-2007 08:51 AM

The camber plates that I have seen would most certainly raise the ride height of your car. I am not sure if they are all like that. If they are you would probably want the lowering springs just to get your ride back to normal. Except for track or autocross where you would probably want it lower than normal. Either way you sound like you would be spending almost as much for camber plates and lowering springs as you would for a set of coilovers. If you are going to track or autocross I would highly suggest you spend the few extra $$ and get the coilovers. The ride is a bit stiffer but worth it. Two of the nicest thing about the coilovers I have found is that you can adjust the stiffness in a few seconds and the ride height in about a half hour.

racer_d 05-28-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Geist
The camber plates that I have seen would most certainly raise the ride height of your car. I am not sure if they are all like that. If they are you would probably want the lowering springs just to get your ride back to normal. Except for track or autocross where you would probably want it lower than normal. Either way you sound like you would be spending almost as much for camber plates and lowering springs as you would for a set of coilovers. If you are going to track or autocross I would highly suggest you spend the few extra $$ and get the coilovers. The ride is a bit stiffer but worth it. Two of the nicest thing about the coilovers I have found is that you can adjust the stiffness in a few seconds and the ride height in about a half hour.

Um.. technically, all Boxsters HAVE coilovers. What you really mean to say is "adjustable" coil overs.

Camber plates are about $300-500. Springs are nother $300-500. All this plus install. A "quality" set of "coilovers" or a set up like Bilsteins PSS9s are about $2000 plus install. JIC, Cross and other set-ups can run closer to $6K in parts, plus install labor (about $1000 seemingly anywhere as its quite a bit of work to change out the rears). How fast do you want to go? How much you want to spend.

Dfer 06-17-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
Um.. technically, all Boxsters HAVE coilovers. What you really mean to say is "adjustable" coil overs.

Camber plates are about $300-500. Springs are nother $300-500. All this plus install. A "quality" set of "coilovers" or a set up like Bilsteins PSS9s are about $2000 plus install. JIC, Cross and other set-ups can run closer to $6K in parts, plus install labor (about $1000 seemingly anywhere as its quite a bit of work to change out the rears). How fast do you want to go? How much you want to spend.

You are 100% correct! The answer to better handling is a question of how much you want to spend and the rules governing the competition where you are competing.

I'm not allowed to run GT3 control arms or camber platesin my competition but have got a set of Bilstein PSS9's. These are height adjustable , have a look at a picture of a PSS9 and you will understand how they adjust ride height. They are also adjustable for bump/rebound and have 9 positions from soft to hard.

As we all suffer from lack of camber on the front of the stock Boxster ( and the outside tyre wear) I am reducing weight transfer by adding stiffer sway /roll bars.This will help keep the car from leaning out.

Fred Puhn wrote ( How to Make Your Car Handle ) that puting heavier sway bays on your car is about the best bang for your buck in the handling stakes. You can just have a fixed, stiffer bar or you can add the adjustable ones to give you more control over your handling. The Boxster Spec racers use a GT3 front bar and a Tarrett rear bar which is the way I'm going.

Cheers
Dennis

easyc 06-17-2007 09:50 PM

Epiq sells a quality set... and the TRG plates are supposedly the best out there.