Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #1

Plastic Glass on the convertible top

Today, it was such a nice day that just had to put the top down.... Well i noticed something when I put the top back up since it is always under a hardtop during the winter. The plastic window near the window was some what ripping but not bad. I was wondering if anyone used like clear silicone to seal it. It is at the edge of the window where the plastic meets the fabric . I was thinking maybe this is a good idea i am not too afraid of water getting into my car since the open is as small as a pencil tip.. 2 spots side by side.. I need to see what is good to use that is durable and flexible.

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

You can try some different silicone and sealants but the fact is your top has separted from the plastic and that usually means replacement of the whole thing for a permanant fix. Consider upgrading to a glass rear window and top from GAHH.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #3

lol...in about 2 yrs i will get a new top but not for 2 pencil tip openings .. not worth the 1,400 just yet.. you know what i mean it only driven in good weather so this top could last me 2 or 3 more yrs.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I used some plastic/vinyl glue made by Loc-Tite as a temporary fix to the tear in my plastic window. It's worked well thus far.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to EuroProjektzKelvin
Convertible window fix

I had the problem too, a crack formed on the plastic window. I stopped by many places and they were charging from $1000-$2000

I went to porsche dealer and talked to the technican personally so no service manager crap trying to ripe you off. They direct my to a Upholstery person

"Bob's auto upholstery"
Redlands, CA 92374
Phone (909) 793-0043

He drove to my house took the top off professionally, and came back the next day with a brand new tinted rear plastic window and installed back on my car for $600

heres a picture of my rear window (sorry my car is really dirty wasn't washed for 8 weeks)

EuroProjektzKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #6

i got my plastic window replaced today for little less than 400. took a day. used the green tint. nice guy named raul.

Robertos auto trim
costa mesa, ca 92627
949-642-8113
swordfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:34 AM   #7

Hmmm, it might be time to start a sticky thread for "Find your local top repair shop" like the Find your local mechanic thread...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 AM   #8

Never leave a plastic window Vert top down too long

I personally like the plastic window better than the glass because I feel I get better visibility out the back when the top is up with the larger plastic window. The down side is that the plastic window is not as durable as the glass. That said, for those of us with the plastic window here is my advice. Never leave the top down for extended periods of time. Whenever you are done driving top down put it back up. My Boxster is now 7 years old and my rear plastic window is in excellent condition by always storing it with the top up. I understand that if the car is your daily driver and you use a hardtop during the winter this is not practical. But it's a catch-22, if you don't use a hard top your top will probably show wear faster from winter use, if you do use a hard top the your top is down all winter and your plastic window gets ruined anyway. I'd leave it up in winter and keep it in the garage when not in use.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #9

No more than the glass window top costs, can be had on ebay for $699, it makes sense to go with the glass and not ever have to mess with replacing the back window again imo. My window seems to have been replaced as I can see the yellowed one that was just cut out, it has developed a rip in the window and is moving towards the cloth now. I'm just going to buy a glass window top and call it good. The later models have a glass window anyway, it makes it look newer.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I bought an ebay top with green tint plastic and replaced it myself... cost me $60 bucks afterwards to have a upholstery shop to fine tune it for me.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #11

got a picture?