Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #1

Brand New 987 Break in and Shipping questions

Picking up a new Boxster tonight, what if any thing would you recommend for the first 500, 1000, 5000 miles? (I searched for previous posts, did not see anything)

Any concerns on max RPM, or braking for some time/distance ?

I have typically used Mobil 1 in the past on various Japanese and Detroit gas and diesels after a 1000 mile wear in on a good organic oil.

Would a tire L<-->R rotation be advised as well ?

We plan to have it shipped via the Dealer in about 6 weeks to our new home in San Jose, any special prep other than getting the fuel level down to 1/4 or so ?

SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
bmussatti

Congrats on the new car.

Read your owners manual regarding Proper Engine/Car Break In Period. Don't listen to the Dealership nor Salesperson.

In general:

1) Don't exceed 4,200 RPM for the first 2,000 miles
2) Don't lug engine
3) No harsh braking
4) Don't sit in one gear, and just cruise for hours. Up-shift and down shift during the break-in period.
5) As an added precaution, I changed my oil at approx. 1,000 miles. Not required. Only for "peace of mind".
6) Oil should be Mobil 1 0W40

Post some pics ASAP!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #3

Thanks, that is the sort of thing I was seeking, as I have been told a variety of things by salepeople over the years on other vehicles.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti

6) Oil should be Mobil 1 0W40
b.....perfect timing, I need to add smoe oil and couldn't find what kind I have in my car in the manual....are you sure this is it? its also talking adding a litre? they sell oil in quarts eh?? yeah yeah I'm lazy and not converting this no my own....so how many quarts are we talking?

and finally, I agree.....definitely put up some pics of the new ride....my sales man said drive it, engine already has been broken in....

but the manual states otherwise....I'd go with the manual
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #5

Its been raining here, but we have 600 miles of sub 5000 rpm, (mostly sub 4200) and
no hard stops. Found the directional signal = Fog Light and had to call 1-800-PORSCHE to figure that out.

Having a great time and already thinking about "the next one"

S
Old 05-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog
Its been raining here, but we have 600 miles of sub 5000 rpm, (mostly sub 4200) and
no hard stops. Found the directional signal = Fog Light and had to call 1-800-PORSCHE to figure that out.

Having a great time and already thinking about "the next one"

S
All of your break-in miles should be below 4,200 RPM...not just mostly. I suggest that you reconsider your procedure. Not easy...I know.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #7

Break in Period

I have a friend who works for a major auto manufacturer as an engineer. He told me to break in cars the way you are going to drive them. His opinion is that these delicate break in periods are to the benefit of the car manufacturer. I myself have done it both ways in the past with my cars and bikes and have not seen any difference.

What do you guys think is the worst case senario for not following the recommended break in procedure? ( Please do not take my comments as a break in recommendation or as trying to start an argument).

Last edited by r9i8c7k; 05-15-2007 at 12:25 PM.
r9i8c7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #8

Smile break in?

I'm not sure-I think the engines have some run time on them even before they are stuffed.
Frank Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #9

they actually do run them before they go in....and I can tell you one thing, the salesman took my car on a drive for me to check on a beeping sound and he definitely didn't keep it under 4200.....

this topic has come up before a bit here, some are all over the board during break in.....

some are diehard to the manual......

I was all over the place so I'll let you know if mine ever blows up
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
All of your break-in miles should be below 4,200 RPM...not just mostly. I suggest that you reconsider your procedure. Not easy...I know.
Hmm., I should have been more specific, I had three known excursions above 4200, going up On ramps... total duration less than 5 sec, but it is hard to keep it down.

S
Old 05-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Come on Buss, I doubt many here could say it never exceeded 4,200 rpm during the first 2k miles. The engine isn't going to implode if that rule is fudged. I'm not saying don't follow the manual, but use it more as a guideline.

Last edited by Adam; 05-17-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote